Is this confusing???

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had a verbal agreement with a local event location about doing some concessions on an event by event basis. The agreement was that we would do one BBQ event in the fall no matter what but we would try the events through out the summer and if profitable we would continue and if not we would not do them.

We did two events and lost our A$$, I wrote the director of the events the email below three weeks ago. Tonight was the next event and he said he thought we were coming and was upset that we were not. Could you please read it and give me your opinion as to weather my message is clear or not.

EMAIL:

Hi XXXX,

Well I wish we had better news to report as far as how the concessions have gone for us at ******. Based on results we have had it will not be anywhere close to profitable for us to continue selling barbecue for the shows and *****. I still have the original September BBQ event on our schedule and we will do the event if you would like us to, I can pay the theater 10% of gross sales for the event. Just let me know if you want us to still plan on doing this event. I am sending you a check for $23.50 which is 10% of our gross sales from this past Saturday. I think the ****** is a great venue and will continue to support it when I can. If I can help you with barbecue catering please let me know.
--

Think that's pretty clear and the $23.50 should show how little was made. Been there and done that bro.

Thanks Chad, but is it clear in my email that I am not coming back for the other summer events? I mean I think so but he seems to not get the fact that this email says I am done and will not be selling summer concessions at his events and was quite upset today that he had to scramble to get a grill and hamburgers going to have some concessions tonight.

Yep you said "that" event several times alluding to the September thing. That's pretty clear.
Sounds like people must eat before they go to these fetes.

Too bad, with having pretty much exclusive access I'd have bet that you'd have made some money.

Hi XXXX,

Well I wish we had better news to report as far as how the concessions have gone for us at ******. Based on results we have had it will not be anywhere close to profitable for us to continue selling barbecue for the shows and *****. Based upon these results, per our original discussion, we will not be selling BBQ at any summer events. I still have the original September BBQ event on our schedule and we will do the event if you would like us to, I can pay the theater 10% of gross sales for the event. Just let me know if you want us to still plan on doing this event. I am sending you a check for $23.50 which is 10% of our gross sales from this past Saturday. I think the ****** is a great venue and will continue to support it when I can. If I can help you with barbecue catering please let me know.

I think it would have been clearer worded this way, in your orginal note, it would not be clear to someone that does not want the bad news. I have found in some business letters, a direct, but nice, shot across the bow is best.

Most of the events are 7:30pm shows that have 100-300 in attendance. So most probably go out to eat first. There is a 1 hour window before showtime to sell some concessions and a 15 minute intermission. I have to make two 20 mile round trips each way to take my smoker and vending trailer in. It's kind of off main road and woody, my last time in I busted a rim and tire ($250 and my fault) on my trailer and busted the drain on my water tank. It all just added to the nightmare, I have lost money two times since going into business May 2010 and both time were at this event. I am just worried he will try to spread the word that I was a no show and unreliable which is not true.

That makes sense, your reputation matters. Might be best to talk with him?

I agree with short and direct. I've thought about the most successful lawyers that left the best impression and realized none of them used long sentences like I do. Very direct and factual. Not many words wasted or easily misunderstood. I also think direct commincation is best, eye to eye when possible. Hope it works out for you and can figure some way to keep postive things ahead reputation wise.Good luck. Steve.

Actually, from a business sense it's not clear cut that you aren't coming back. Speaking in person it might have been clear, but from an email perspective it's far to vague. I think the all knowing Landarc hit it the nail on the head.

I should also add that I have stated to him for 3 months that so long as it is profitable we would continue to do the events on and would take it one event at a time and if not profitable we would not do any more with the exception of the one in September.

Since the email above was sent there was one date (last week) we were supposed to sell at provided we were still trying it. After the email of me telling him what was stated at the beginning of the thread we did not do that event yet he never called then and asked why I was not there. So I don't understand why he thought I was coming this time.

To be frank, no it was not clear in your letter that you would not be back. Speaking in person is much more professional and there is a chance for questions...in which case your intentions would have certainly been presented in black/white speech.

Based on results we have had it will not be anywhere close to profitable for us to continue selling barbecue for the shows and *****. I still have the original September BBQ event on our schedule and we will do the event if you would like us to--

Every conversation he and I had for 3 months I would tell him we would try events and if profitable we would continue and if not profitable we would not continue. With the exception on the one BBQ event in the fall we would do no matter what. The statements "only continue if profitable" came up over 20 times in those few months. So when I state the above I feel it should have been crystal clear. So I have learned from this experience, and from seeing how everyone here's input that from now on I am need to make it super clear and blount.

Thanks for the input, I will be much more clear in the future.

Back