Fat on the bottom of brisket flat slices

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys tend to do about the 1/8-1/4 inch (give or take) layer of fat underneath of the brisket flat.

I made some fantastic brisket this weekend (from an untrimmed brisket flat from Costco - see photo!). Two of my guests commented about the little strip of fat at the bottom of each brisket slice.

I loved it b/c I thought it gave it some flavor. But others were seen cutting it off and piling it up.

What's the general thought on this little strip of fat at the bottom of the brisket flat?

Overall everyone loved it but I'm now curious about the fat.

Attachments

• brisket_nofoil.jpg
    brisket_nofoil.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 287
I leave it on while cooking. It's a good heat shield. I trim it off after cooking.

I think it is a traditional brisket with the fat on the bottom. People are scared of fat. It's BBQ it's not supposed to be healthy. If people don't like the fat, don't eat it.

I leave it on and let the eater make the choice To me Fat is Flavor. I used to trim it off but I had a Complaint from a 5" nothing blue haired Widow lady at an event she Chewed my tail but good for removing it. Conclusion let the eater decide. I will trim on request but not as a rule

I try to leave a very small amount of it. I also trim it after the cook of course. I think if it is a small enough layer of fat people aren't going to mess with it. If you have a big hunk of it at the bottom then a lot of people will cut it off myself included.

Not so much worried about the health issue, but I don't like the texture/taste of TOO much fat.

I leave it on while cooking - I cook on the Egg and am a fat side down king of girl, and I usually leave it on when I slice. I usually trim pretty close before cooking so there isn't usually too much left during slicing.

I leave it on and let the eater make the choice To me Fat is Flavor. I used to trim it off but I had a Complaint from a 5" nothing blue haired Widow lady at an event she Chewed my tail but good for removing it. Conclusion let the eater decide. I will trim on request but not as a rule

DSC02087ra.jpg

I'm with you on this... although on this bite ▲▲ the fat is slightly heavier than I usually leave. My one exception when I do trim it close is when I'm building sandwiches, but I put some point meat on them to make sure they are moist.

DSC00810a.jpg

I am with what Thrideye and Bludawg have said because I will eat a little fat but the rest of my family trim it all off. Why should I have to do all the work for them, unless its for sandwiches.
Dave

I leave it on to serve and let people deal with it. I figure restaurants don't trim the fat off of steaks. My wife will cut it off on her plate. More power to her. I eat some and pull some off.

Btw, knife and fork with brisket??? :confused:

I just leave it on and let folks make their own decision. I agree with Mo-Dave that brisket does look great.

I tend to trim it. I don't mind when the fat is threaded into the meat but when its chunks on spots (in this case, the bottom) I am not a fan.

I always cook and serve as/is as far as the fat goes. Just too much flavor and moistness going to waste if not , and besides w/o all that lovely fat i personally don't believe it turns out quite as "fork tender" .
If you've gone that far in producing a fine piece of meat , let the end user decide how they want it after it's on their plates.After all you're never gonna please everyone , so ya might as well please yourself :grin:.

Ok, thanks for the comments. I think since it was such a little bit of fat at the bottom that its just fine to serve as-is and let the guest decide whether they want to remove it.

Yes, this was really good brisket. Melted in my mouth.

I actually did two flats, I foiled one and smoked the other for 10 hour till 201 internal. the 10 hour one is the one in the picture and was amazing. The foiled one tasted like potroast to me. So I have my method down, for my purposes!

The guys who do comps down here usually trim it off with a fillet knife after cooking and before slicing. I usually leave it on unless it's unusually thick. Sometimes I trim of off when I slice if I see one that's too big. Personally, I like a little fat on my brisket.

To the original poster.... I think that is the best looking brisket any "on the road to being a farker" member has ever had and frankly better than a lot of people's. I for one make a great brisket but lack the photo skills... I need to brush up on that.

You have done so well....

Don't trim it... or you will meet someone like me who will send it back....

DSC00810a.jpg

OHHH Black Jesus this looks perfect.... lot going on in this shot.... simplicity yet.... complex things that depict a perfect sliced sandwich. I love Pot salad like this too.

Back