• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Putting in new temp gauge on Stumps Baby

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I think I had grease fire in my Stumps Baby. I was doing some butts and I went to check on them and my temp had shot to 500 degrees. I shut down valve and the temp would not come down. I opened the door and it was like freakin' inferno. It finally died down, like hours later.

I cleaned smoker completely out on the inside but it seems my temp gauge is finished. How easy is changing it? It is a Tel-Tru and it looks to just screw out and in. Help please!!!!

You are correct, they just screw out. I take mine out of my Prince twice a year to calibrate it. I put a little olive/vegetable oil on the threads before I screw it back in to the door also.

You are correct, they just screw out. I take mine out of my Prince twice a year to calibrate it. I put a little olive/vegetable oil on the threads before I screw it back in to the door also.

Where do you buy new ones? All the ones I'm seeing online only go to 240 degrees. The one on the Stumps goes to like 550.

I have not had to by a new one but most pits use the same or very similiar thermometers. I googled it and there are places that sell the Tel-Tru BBQ Grill/Smoker Themometer that goes up to 500 degrees. Looks like prices run between $30-40. First place I found was Fire Craft Grilling Equipment. Just look for the Grill/Smoker Thermometer.

Just ordered a new one. When it comes in do I simply unscrew the old one and put the new one in? Nothing else?

Thats it. Just get a wrench that fits the nut behind the dial and remove the old thermometer. If you want to ensure your new thermometer is calibrated before you install it. Boil some water and insert the themometer probe into the center of the boiling water, about 2 1/2" in the water. Do not touch the sides or bottom of the pot with the probe. Water boils at 212 degrees (sea level). Temp on thermometer should settle in real close if not dead on 212.
When you put in your new thermometer just tighten it down to where its snug, do not over tighten.

Good Luck.

Just ordered a new one. When it comes in do I simply unscrew the old one and put the new one in? Nothing else?

I would test it for accuracy before installing the new one. Boil a pot of water and see what it reads. I apologize for this post, I failed to read the one right above fully before I hit enter. BAD ME!

Back