Suggestions for comps near Philly, PA

B

backporchbbq

Ok Folks, still being new to the competiton aspect of Q, need some suggestions. We are cooking Green Lane, Dover and New Holland this coming season. We are looking for possibly 2 or 3 more. Anyone know of any good comps near Philadelphia. By near I mean a couple hour drive time.

We don't really want to be cramped in like Yardley. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Salisbury, MD www.porkinthepark.org
Cheasapeake Bay Cook off Stevensville, MD
I think one in Bel Air MD
Another in Wildwood NJ

and a few more I can't think of I'm sure

There is going to be one in Shrewsbury, PA and the one in Harrisburg, PA as well.

Go month by month on the kcbs website, there are a lot of good ones. There is also a few one day events by you, there is the Garry Maddox, at phillies stadium which is a lot of fun. If i can find the info I will post it. It should be in late july or eraly august. There is also one planned for seaside heights, nj, freehold, nj, bridgeton, nj, these are all within say one and a half hours.

Theres one in Marshalltown, Ia. in June. Is that too far? :mrgreen:

Josh,

Do you know anything about Green Lane? It looks like a new contest. Any info on the venue, organizer, prize money, etc?

Erik

Josh,

Do you know anything about Green Lane? It looks like a new contest. Any info on the venue, organizer, prize money, etc?

Erik

Hey Erik,

You are right this is a new contest. It is the first year and it is sanctioned. It will be held at a park. Here is the Website, and they are accepting applications now. The price money is not great, 5,000 in prizes.

http://www.glfcbbq.com/

It is 10 mins from our house, so we will be there. Already sent in our application.

Thanks, Josh, I'll check out the website. I'm pretty sure I'll be at that one. I wonder if they are going to get a Governor's proclamation?

For contests, there's York in September and Harrisburg in October. I know Tom Christine is working on a new site for the Yardley contest, which presumably would be in June.

Ok Folks, still being new to the competiton aspect of Q:-?, need some suggestions. We are cooking Green Lane, Dover and New Holland this coming season. We are looking for possibly 2 or 3 more. Anyone know of any good comps near Philadelphia. By near I mean a couple hour drive time.

We don't really want to be cramped in like Yardley. Any suggestions would be helpful.

after competing for the last couple of years at Berks , I bet your as bummed out as everyone else that Berks is all over, I just hope to see you place another top 5 at NewHolland, pretty good for going into your third year. I wish I was as good as you guys!!when are you gonna give up that chicken method???
Sal

after competing for the last couple of years at Berks , I bet your as bummed out as everyone else that Berks is all over, I just hope to see you place another top 5 at NewHolland, pretty good for going into your third year. I wish I was as good as you guys!!when are you gonna give up that chicken method???
Sal

Sal,

Berks was my favorite comp. I am really bummed that it is not happening this year. Maybe the year after. New Holland was probably a fluke, because Dover did not share even close to the same results. We will see next year, we will def be there. I am going to check out Harrisburg, sounds like a good one. The chicken method. you mean throw it on and pray. That is what I usually do, and of course hope it doesn't burn.

looks like a good one...to bad its the same weekend as Harrisburg Pa, at the state capitol, this one is gonna grow to be a big one!!!

I hope so - I wanted to do it last year, but I moved that week and couldn't pull it off. I can't pass up a contest 10 minutes away again!

Count me in at Harrisburg. Looks like Pork in the Park, Dover, Harrisburg, and hopefully New Holland (if we can get in) for our first year. Really looking forward to it. I'm in the process of getting a new cooker for comps now.

Back