• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Knife Sharpening System?

Which is the better system?

• Wicked Edge

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Edge Pro

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

Soulman1282

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am a professional chef and my main knife is a Wusthof Santoku. I've had it for six years and have never put it to a stone, only a diamond steel. It is finally dulling down and I have noticed a wave in the blade from human errors while steeling it.

I am looking at knife sharpening systems and want to know what everyone thinks. I like the looks of the Wicked Edge system for ease of use, sharpening both sides at once, and the fact that the blade is fixed to the sharpener(not held by your hand). However, I've read a few threads (considerably older) of people saying they didn't think it was very good, and that the Edge Pro system was better. It doesn't look as good to me though, for the above reasons.

I realize there are probably few people, if any, that own both systems and could attest to the pros and cons of both, but would like some opinions from everyone on the subject. Thanks!

Justin, if you are not really into the whole sharpening aspect of owning a knife, it might be worth finding a good knife sharpening service, as around of the other chefs, and see if you can find a guy with a good water-cooled system to sharpen for you.

I'm into having sharp knives, just don't trust myself to maintain a perfect 17* angle while drawing my knife across a stone. I've got no problem putting the $20 Forschner house knives at the restaurant on the stone, but not my Wusthof. Along the same lines, I don't trust anybody else.:rolleyes: I really want to do it myself, just want the safety net of a device that keeps the angle even...I'm too damn picky.

I like the wicked edge because you can work on both sides of the knife at once.

Edge Pro all the way. Not a fan of Wicked Edge at all. Of course a good set of whetstones is ideal.

If you want a guy that really knows what he's doing then check out Dave Martell. He's the best in the business.

http://japaneseknifesharpening.com/

I bought the EdgePro Apex system instead of the Wicked Edge because I didn't like the idea of working on two sides at once. I am very happy with the EdgePro but I have not actually tried the Wicked Edge. I understand from others that it is very good as well.

I use stones and a steel. I had an Old Hickory I learned with. I would sharpen it and then dull it on concrete and go at it again. It took a bit but after you learn you have a very versatile system that can put a beautiful edge on anything.

Whatever system you choose to sharpen your knifes the real key is maintaining the edge. I would highly recommend you get a professional steeling system like the Mousetrap and mount it where you work. Once you get used to using one-takes about a minute- then life will not be the same. Your hands and wrist will love it. They cost about 100 bucks.

I haven't used either of these two systems, but have considered getting the Wicked Edge for the ease of doing both sides at once, plus the fact that the blade is clamped into place- you don't have to hold it the whole time. After watching the videos, I think the two systems actually sharpen a knife the exact same way, by using a sharpening surface mounted on a rod to run across the blade at a specific angle (so you can also then add the Lansky system into this mix). After that, it's all about the price, do you want to hold the knife or clamp it, and do you want the option of doing both sides at once. If doing two sides at once buggers you, then you can also just do one side at a time.
For my .02, I personally am thinking of the Work Sharp system. It's fast, simple to use, much cheaper, and puts a convex edge on the knife but doesn't necessarily remove a ton of metal. To me, that's a win-win combination. That being said, if someone gave me either of the two sharpeners you have mentioned. I would happily use them until I'm too old to sharpen my own knives. :laugh:

I have been using this for years. Chefs Choice 110.

Attachments

• chefschoice110_.jpg
    chefschoice110_.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 268
I'm into having sharp knives, just don't trust myself to maintain a perfect 17* angle while drawing my knife across a stone. I've got no problem putting the $20 Forschner house knives at the restaurant on the stone, but not my Wusthof. Along the same lines, I don't trust anybody else.:rolleyes: I really want to do it myself, just want the safety net of a device that keeps the angle even...I'm too damn picky.

That's the exact reason I bought the Wicked Edge. I love it. I struggled for many years with different sharpeners and could never get the hang of them, or maintain a consistent angle. With the WEPS, it's so simple even my wife could do it lol.

I keep a log of settings for each knife (angle, depth, length setting) and it took about 5 minutes to put the edge on the first time (most of my knives were in horrible shape), and touch-ups take about 30 seconds now. Just drop the knife in, set the proper settings, and give it a couple swipes with the ultra-fine stone. Back to being razor sharp.

I love it and it was well worth the price.

Last edited:
Don't know anything about the wicked edge, but I've got the edge pro and if a moron like me can use it then anyone can.

Find a local professional. Skip the electrics.

The two systems the OP is asking about are manual stone systems. They will do a much better job and be much gentler on your blade than the grinder a local "pro" will be using. :tsk:

I use stones and an old smooth steel, I strop with an old belt. But, there are a couple of local sources here that use stones or water cooled belts that don't brutalize knives, at least there were.

That being said, there is value to finding out a system for small sharpening loads if you are willing to put in the learning curve. I have never tried the Wicked Edge, as I don't like the idea of clamping a knife edge up.

I own the Apex-Pro and, although I'm very happy with it, it has a few issues. If you don't want to scratch up the sides of your knives, you need to put painters tape across all but the cutting edge. Also, it takes a bit of getting used to, as it was a little awkward using my left arm for one side of the blade. (I guess the WE might present a similar issue, but seems like it might be easier from watching the videos.)

That said, I'm very happy with my Apex now that I've had a little practice. Bottom line, either one you get, start with crappy knives to avoid screwing up your good ones, and then enjoy!

Also, it takes a bit of getting used to, as it was a little awkward using my left arm for one side of the blade. (I guess the WE might present a similar issue, but seems like it might be easier from watching the videos.)

That's what I thought too. Seems like holding the knife with my left hand while running the stone across the blade would be fairly awkward. While the Wicked Edge seems like a more natural "wax on, wax off" kind of motion:heh:

Back