UDS not acting "right"

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I keep reading about the UDS temps spiking when removing the lid. Everytime I remove my lid (Weber lid), the temps drop by 20+ degrees. I have a standard 55 gallon barrel, single rack, charcoal basket, and a Polder thermometer. My intakes are two Weber "wheels" with two holes at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Any ideas as to why my UDS acts differently than most others? I'm not upset about this, just curious.

Matt

IF the UDS recovers temp well, then I think it's a good thing that it drops rather than spikes. Just go with it. My UDS spikes when I open the lid for about 60 seconds but it recovers pretty quickly. My kegs, on the other hand, spike and just don't want to come back down. I have gotten to the point that I close the vents for a few minutes before opening my keg just to keep the spikes down to a manageable level.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I was thinking also. Like I said, not really worried, more just curious. Temps recover fairly quickly, so it's actually a good thing. I just didn't know if it had something to do with my intakes (most folks use a ball-valve), or not.

Off topic, but...congrats on the new Jambo, very envious out here in CA!!

Matt

Thanks, bro, but the Jambo is just a toy for my own personal amusement. I plan to continue to cook in my UDS and kegs. A UDS can cook some great Q.

I for one would like more info on your setup. If you are able to keep your lid off for any length of time while cooking, I would like to know how you are achieving that.

You have any pics of your drum?

Do you have a heat sink?

What kind if fuel ?

Last edited:
How your UDS appears to react depends on where you are measuring the temp. There is a difference between the measured temp of a thermo in the centre and under the grate or a thermo in the lid above the groceries.

Cliff, normally I use Kingsford blue, but have been using Royal Oak lump recently, UDS acts the same regardless. I don't have any type of diffuser. Email me for pics, el_matt2003@yahoo.com.

H20loo, my digital thermo is about 1/4" above the grate. I have 2 pieces of MDF with a hole in their center that keeps it steady. Even my oven thermos read the same, at grate level.

I don't adjust anything prior to removing the lid. I just remove, do what I gotta do, then replace the lid.

Matt

If you are burning fuel efficiently with the coals lit and burning outwards rather than having to have the intakes choked way down the temp spikes won't happen as easily.

If your basket of fuel is just gagging for a reason (air)too then opening lid is it a shure fire way to a spike think back draft.

Mine does the same thing. When I lift off the lid the temp drops. I am sure this is because of the heat leaving the drum with the lid off. As soon as I put the lid back it spikes for a few minutes and then (usually) returns to temp. I am sure this is because of the extra air it gets while the lid off.

Best advice, dont lift the lid. :-D

I always close off all open ball valves for a few min prob like 2-3 min then I lift the lid do whatever I need to do and my temps are fine when I put the lid back on, try it see if it helps I use coal and wood chunks when I smoke also I don't really like lump(TO HOT) ya I know I'm the only one..:icon_blush:

I think all of them drop while the lid is off- you're introducing a lot of cool air, and letting the heat escape. It's what happens after you put the lid back on that counts. I used to shut my intakes down before lifting the lid, but then I got lazy and don't bother, and the 'Q is just as good. I don't keep the lid off for very long, though.

I always thought it was better to have the thermometer right below the cooking grate, not above it.

The grate temp itself will drop when the lid is off. however, the colder outside air is getting to the coals and igniting them more than normal operation. The spike everyone talks about is the spike right after the lid is closed when the coals are lit.

Back