• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS.. a downgrade?

If someone wants a true set it and forget it charcoal cooker that produces the best flavor it's a UDS with a Guru or IQ. Sure they hold temp great with out the controller but they are sure are nice with.

Pic of said offset would be nice! lol :mrgreen:

don't have too many pics of the smoker straight on. this one was from the side, early on my offset career...before i understood enough about tending the a hot smaller fire, then controlling a big fire. still shows a lot of the leaking around the cooking chamber. i did try red rtv - but the gap is quite big and couldn't get it to work. if the leak is that bad, and you all would agree that it would effect my cooking experience, i will look into a different way to seal it up.

7998235955_d17ed9e9bd_z.jpg

tons of good information guys! i found a reseller of barrels not to far from my location, and am looking on craigslist for weber parts.

i think you gave me the information i was looking for. i got the holiday weekend to think about my choices and read any more suggestions you all may have!

thanks again guys!

Last edited:
those handles are really nice.. keep that offset and add to the family.. That little bit of gap can be fixed with some RTV Rope Gasket and High temp silicone in about an hour.. Really its no big deal..

My suggestion is to build 1 UDS and keep your offset. Try the UDS for a bit, and if you like it as much as the rest of us do, then build the 2nd. If you don't like it you won't be out big bucks.

Try high temp felt to seal that leak. If it leaks more in one are than another judt add a second layer to that spot if you need it. Great looking smoker btw! She's a keeper!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Took a week to find a weber 22.5 on Craigslist, but I finally got one. Monday I'm making a drive to pickup an unlined drum.

I'm searching on this website and Google trying to find resources or helpful tips for the UDS. If you know of any resources that stick out, let me know!

we have a gigantic thread here about the UDS. you won't be sorry, the UDS just sits there holding temps all day with nary a problem.

you'll want two cooking grates for sure. I would strongly recommend a heat deflector, but that's as simple as hanging a big tinfoil turkey pan off the bottom grate.

you'll wonder why you ever bothered with an offset.

Who says you have to get rid of the off set? why can't you keep it and the 2 UDS?

DING DING DING!! There's you're real problem right there! No one here will understand your statement because most of us have backyards full of cookers. Different tools for different jobs.

Couple points-

If you obsess about temps, you'll love a UDS. They come standard with "cruise control":grin:

IMO Keep the offset if you like it and build a UDS and try it. As far as an UDS being an attention grabber, don't worry you'll still have many people marveling at the tasty Q that came out of well, an oil drum.

Oh and build the UDS coal basket with provisions to place it up near the cook grate for grilling. Makes the cooker much more versatile.

thanks guys!

got my barrel today, it might be the RUDS right now. really ugly. got it for $20 at container reclaimer just north of denver. it is a tad taller than the other 55gal drums (maybe 3 or 4 inches), but the guy said this is what other guys want when they come in looking to make a vertical smoker. i saw some at this warehouse that clearly had a liner in it, can anyone tell if this one does? he said it was food safe and to the best of his knowledge without a liner.

20130909_134602.jpg

20130909_134525.jpg

i plan on painting it, so looks aside - did i get hosed, or should this work out alright?

OK this is my 2 cents I have 2 Large BGE's, 2 UDS, and 1 250 off set on trailer, 1 egg with plate setter for long cooks 1 egg W/O plate setter for the perfect steak, 1 UDS for chicken and pork butts ribs and so on and 1 UDS for fish, lobster, seafood and the big boy for large cooks a man cant have too many smokers.

SMOKEN JOKERS

I am now into my second year with my UDS, and.....I LOVE IT. I have a chuck roast cooking on it right now. As has been previously stated, the UDS is pretty much set and forget. With my Maverick, I check the temps and make small adjustments as needed. I have smoked a full packer brisket for about 15 hours on maybe six lbs. of lump charcoal and 3 small sticks of apple wood. I still use my other cookers, but the UDS is my go to smoker. :eusa_clap

I started out with a nice, heavy duty, backyard side smoker. Had it 2 years and I just couldn't cook with it when hosting a party and smoking multiple racks of ribs, constantly feeding the fire, even had a fan on it, sucked.

I have a couple of BUFORD's, hybrid Santa Maria, BGE, Gasser, Konro, I'm set.

@ nopantsdan--Check around to see how much you can get it sandblasted for. If you don't find a good deal ($40 or less) you could do a good burn and wire brush/sand off the paint and rust to get the barrel back to bare metal and start from there.

The real question is have you checked to see if your Weber lid will fit. Many of the open head drums need some sort of tweaking to get the Weber lid to fit.

My nephew picked up a new drum in Denver from some local supplier for $70 bucks or so a few months back.

I will add this on a drum cooker - cooking over naked coals does impart a different flavor than in an offset. Grease fired smoke delivers a certain profile that's a major hit for many folks, and a major miss for others. I actually find it too strong a flavor note every so often, and am myself looking forward to a new SQ36 on its way to me as I join the legions of stick burners.

Some folks do put in baffles between the coals and meat to guard against the grease smoke flavor. I never tried but may one day.

The only downgrade is in cooking surface from your offset. Otherwise, you will gain incredible temp control and stability, and portability you don't currently enjoy.

I wouldn't get rid of your offset until a year or two of happy ownership from a drum. I also think you'll always miss your ol' rig if you do sell!

I will add this on a drum cooker - cooking over naked coals does impart a different flavor than in an offset. Grease fired smoke delivers a certain profile that's a major hit for many folks, and a major miss for others. I actually find it too strong a flavor note every so often, and am myself looking forward to a new SQ36 on its way to me as I join the legions of stick burners.

Some folks do put in baffles between the coals and meat to guard against the grease smoke flavor. I never tried but may one day.

The only downgrade is in cooking surface from your offset. Otherwise, you will gain incredible temp control and stability, and portability you don't currently enjoy.

I wouldn't get rid of your offset until a year or two of happy ownership from a drum. I also think you'll always miss your ol' rig if you do sell!

I always use a diffuser in all my drums.

Back