When to worry about number of registrations

82's BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
At what point should an organizer get concerned about the number of registered teams for an event?

In my experience.. 2-3 weeks out they should scramble.

alot of teams wait till the last 30 days to sign up.. its frustrating to organizers, but everyone likes to hold their money as long as possible. sometimes a phone call that says, "Im in but will send $$ asap" will relieve some stress. :)

As an organizer, I will agree with our Grand Poobah about teams waiting until the last minute and needing to scramble. Last year, our contest was sitting at 18 teams about 3 weeks out. I had a few teams politely inform me if I didn't hit 25 teams they would go elsewhere or not even show up. It would be a lie if I said I wasn't stressing out. 2 weeks out I went from 18 to 27 teams and the week of I went from 27 to 42.

It is frustrating as an organizer but since I also cook periodically at contests in my area, I am able to see it from both sides and yes I have waited until the last minute to enter into a contest. I will probably start really stressing out in September.

D. Moore
Organizer, Bordertown Bash-Fort Smith AR

Would you consider free entry fee for the first 15 teams for a first year $10K event begging for cooks an act of desperation??

I see the issue from both sides as I compete and serve on an organizer committee.
As a competitor, I can't afford to send $250 bucks out to all of the contests I plan on attending early, but as an organizer, I realize that you have to get your numbers as early as you can. This year, we had 3 teams who verbaled a month ago, who have now backed out and left us scrambling to pick up 3 more teams to hit our 25.
Our KCBS rep tells me waiting until the last moment is the norm this year, but that doesn't help much if you hit your deadline and are still a couple of teams short.

We have organizers who offer an "early bird" entry fee which usually ends about a month before the contest. It has helped get teams to sign up and to draw other teams once they have seen the minimum team counts have been met.

Benny

I would agree with the earlybird discount. I always take advantage of those offers.

We use early discounts, and it has been very worthwhile in getting teams to sign up earlier that they would otherwise.

We are phasing in electronic registration also, and that helps.

Even so, you get down to the last minute with some teams.

And I love teams that register early.
Makes the job of matching the correct number of judges to teams a lot easier.

Early bird specials seem to get a lot of entry's right away. I use as many as i can.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. In case you have an open weekend to fill, Danville IL is having a competition on Sept 28-29. :wink:

I see the issue from both sides as I compete and serve on an organizer committee.
As a competitor, I can't afford to send $250 bucks out to all of the contests I plan on attending early, but as an organizer, I realize that you have to get your numbers as early as you can. This year, we had 3 teams who verbaled a month ago, who have now backed out and left us scrambling to pick up 3 more teams to hit our 25.
Our KCBS rep tells me waiting until the last moment is the norm this year, but that doesn't help much if you hit your deadline and are still a couple of teams short.

Maybe the team that was associated with letting the organizers know things should have said something about going to the fairgrounds, maybe not removing any music, beer, etc...etc.....that have helped them get money in the past......but, hey, when you do 7 contests I am sure that it makes you a pro in consulting........unfortunately it is you that guided the organizers......and it will be the last year that the contest happens.........
It is really a matter of fact that most teams in the area do not want anything to do with you as a organizer.........it happens when you believe that you are more than the contest....IMO
\

I 100% agree with the others that have taken advantage of the Early Bird discounts. $50 bucks is $50.

I think more organizers should employ this tactic to get more teams to sign up early.

Maybe the team that was associated with letting the organizers know things should have said something about going to the fairgrounds, maybe not removing any music, beer, etc...etc.....that have helped them get money in the past......but, hey, when you do 7 contests I am sure that it makes you a pro in consulting........unfortunately it is you that guided the organizers......and it will be the last year that the contest happens.........
It is really a matter of fact that most teams in the area do not want anything to do with you as a organizer.........it happens when you believe that you are more than the contest....IMO
\

ouch.

Rob, I don't know where you are getting your information, but I can guess.

First of all, we are not moving to the fairgrounds and never really considered it. I asked in this forum if any of the folks thought moving the event would be a good idea, and every single one said they preferred if it stayed where it was.
We are not removing music from the event, there will be a DJ in the main lot and a small stage for live entertainment in another area.
The reason the beer garden was removed this year was because they DID NOT make money from it. The cost of the stage, the extra power, and the fencing required by law here when you sell beer and to be able to charge admission equalled a net loss for the event. I had absolutely no impact in those decisions as you or anybody else who attended any of the meeting they were invited to had attended.
Sorry we didn't roll over for what one team wanted and instead listened to what the masses wanted. Get over yourself.

Sorry to everybody but Rob about the tone of this post, but I did not initiate, and will not back down.

** Should this thread be moved to the Organizer's Roundtable? **

The only remedy for the team sign-up jitters is experience. Once a contest has become established and you have lived through the inevitable last-minute rush to sign up, you become a bit more comfortable with the situation. The pressure never totally goes away unless you become a yearly sell-out, but at least it becomes manageable.

Back