Large BGE Owner's I Need Some Help

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Could someone check the measurements of the Plate Setter?

I need the width of the outside edge to edge of the main body.

I also need the width of the outside edge to edge including the legs

Also the width of the legs, the edge that sits into the Fire Ring Slots.

And last, the height of the legs, From the Plate Setter surface, not including the Plate Setter thickness itself..

Hope that makes sense, I may want a Plate Setter for my Kamado.

Please double check your measurements, not like me and sometimes 3/4 comes out 5/8:roll:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platesetter.jpg

Plate setters are an odd shape, mine is one of the old ones, the newer ones have additional thickness at the bends of the legs, so my measurements might be goofy, I'm not sure if I'm a good resource for measurements.​

Can you give us the outside diameter and inside diameter of your fire ring? This would at least tell you if the legs will fit.​

Dimension A: I need the width of the outside edge to edge of the main body. Do you mean from the rounded edge of the setter to the inside wall of the BGE? Or from the leg to the inside wall of the BGE?

Dimension B: I also need the width of the outside edge to edge including the legs. It's kind of triangular, so you can't really measure edge to edge.​

Dimension C. Also the width of the legs, the edge that sits into the Fire Ring Slots. I can measure the width of the legs, but mine does not fit into any slots.

Dimension D. And last, the height of the legs, From the Plate Setter surface, not including the Plate Setter thickness itself.. So, the height of the leg to the bottom side of the plate setter?

Platesettercopy.jpg

Would either one of these dimensions help out?​

I see what you mean by triangler.

Basically if you were to lay the PS on a paper and draw a complete circle around the legs and then another circle not including the legs. Those are two of the dimensions I am looking for.

The width of the legs is not so important, the Kamado has 3 slots in the Fire Ring, like my XL does. Those slots are only 2 1/4" wide.

The Fire Ring on the Kamado is 17 1/2" across.

You can get your measurements from the intersection of the blue line and the red. The longer line will be the radius of the larger circle and the shorter line will be the radius of the smaller circle.

I'll get some measurements tomorrow and post another photo.

I'm still confused about these "slots". Do you have to use the slots or could you just set the legs in other locations?

I'll get some measurements tomorrow and post another photo.

I'm still confused about these "slots". Do you have to use the slots or could you just set the legs in other locations?

Thanks! There are 5 slots in the Ring. If the Plate Setter does not fit into the slots it's no big deal.

Picture066.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Okay, the depressions.... my ring has those (not sure about 5 or not), but I don't think they have anything to do with the plate setter.

While we're on the subject of modifications, check out this spider. It does fit into the depressions. Used in conjunction with a pizza stone you have a heat shield much like a plate setter. Plus you can invert it. I use mine for my wok. And other folks use it with a small cast iron grate for cooking near the coals..... Just an option.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html

BTW, I know Tom and all his stuff is top notch with regards to quality. He is also a Brethren with the nickname tjv. The best thing is that he can make custom items for a perfect fit. One other thing to look at is the Woo3 ring or the Rig. They allow for raised direct cooking, which I do a lot of on the Egg.

DSC02727a.jpg

DSC02728a.jpg

The main view is looking down on the plate setter with the legs up. The rectangles with the hash marks show the leg positions when the plate setter is legs down.​

My fire ring averages 18-3/8" OD, and 16" ID, making the average thickness around 1-1/8".​

Okay, taking into consideration that both my ring and plate setter are not perfect in every sense (roundness, thickness, etc. I noticed that similar measurements are within 1/16" to 1/8... here is what I came up with:​

Dim A - Diameter of plate 12-1/2"​

Dim B - Legs down - 8-3/4" leg outside to center of plate, making the diameter at the outside of the legs at 17-1/2". (this makes sense because the inside diameter of my cooking grate is 17-3/4" and it fits over the legs in the "legs up" position")​

Dim C - Legs up - 8-3/8" from point of outside contact to center of plate. Note that my plate setter has a bevel on the outside of the corner, this moves the point of contact slightly inboard. Newer models might not have this bevel.​

Let me know what other dims you want. It will be easy now that I have a sketch.​

Thanks Wayne!

That is way more trouble than I expected you to go to. I appreciate you taking the time to get this information! Very easy to understand.

Dim A - Diameter of plate 12-1/2"

This Part is Good!

Dim B - Legs down - 8-3/4" leg outside to center of plate, making the diameter at the outside of the legs at 17-1/2". (this makes sense because the inside diameter of my cooking grate is 17-3/4" and it fits over the legs in the "legs up" position")

At 17 1/2 it looks like the BGE PS will fit perfectly on top of the Fire Ring.

Dim C - Legs up - 8-3/8" from point of outside contact to center of plate. Note that my plate setter has a bevel on the outside of the corner, this moves the point of contact slightly inboard. Newer models might not have this bevel.

I got it on the bevel, that small amount should not make any difference, it still will have plenty of surface area to rest on the Fire Ring.

Thanks again, Terry

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1864732 said:
Thanks Wayne!

That is way more trouble than I expected you to go to. I appreciate you taking the time to get this information! Very easy to understand.

Dim A - Diameter of plate 12-1/2"

This Part is Good!

Dim B - Legs down - 8-3/4" leg outside to center of plate, making the diameter at the outside of the legs at 17-1/2". (this makes sense because the inside diameter of my cooking grate is 17-3/4" and it fits over the legs in the "legs up" position")

At 17 1/2 it looks like the BGE PS will fit perfectly on top of the Fire Ring.

Dim C - Legs up - 8-3/8" from point of outside contact to center of plate. Note that my plate setter has a bevel on the outside of the corner, this moves the point of contact slightly inboard. Newer models might not have this bevel.

I got it on the bevel, that small amount should not make any difference, it still will have plenty of surface area to rest on the Fire Ring.

Thanks again, Terry

You're welcome. I'm always more careful with positioning when I use it feet up (which is way more often than feet down) and as you can see it's only sitting on about 1/2" or so of the fire ring. When it's new it may be a little slicker, but after a few uses it gets some gunk on it which acts as traction..... I've never had one slip off or anything.

Okay, the depressions.... my ring has those (not sure about 5 or not), but I don't think they have anything to do with the plate setter.

While we're on the subject of modifications, check out this spider. It does fit into the depressions. Used in conjunction with a pizza stone you have a heat shield much like a plate setter. Plus you can invert it. I use mine for my wok. And other folks use it with a small cast iron grate for cooking near the coals..... Just an option.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html

BTW, I know Tom and all his stuff is top notch with regards to quality. He is also a Brethren with the nickname tjv. The best thing is that he can make custom items for a perfect fit. One other thing to look at is the Woo3 ring or the Rig. They allow for raised direct cooking, which I do a lot of on the Egg.

That is a great site! I definitely want to get one of those spiders to use a wok and to put a small cast iron gate down close to the coals for steaks! That is, when i finally get my kamado! You guys really busted out the geometry for this problem. Good job!

Back