Question – Non-Sanctioned Event

V

vraczka

Interested in maybe doing a non-sanctioned BBQ competition and wanted to get other ideas, thoughts, experiences and overall outcome?

This event would take place Oct 6, 2012 in Central New Jersey.

We tried to get sanctioned by KCBS but were told that since another BBQ event was close that they wouldn’t sanction ours.

Thank you for your time.

I held a non Sanctioned event back in September. I wanted to show my little community how much fun they are. I had 8 teams 3 of them were locals that had never competed. I just had ribs and chicken with a PC pork. Everyone had a real good time I had 12 judges half were certified. If you know enough people in the BBQ community you should be able to pull something together most are willing to help.

Did you do prize money or trophies? As for judges certified to who's standard? How much did you charge if any of an entry fee?

Thanks again for your help.

I Had a total of 600 in prize money paid 1st and 2nd and gc and rgc trophies 1-3. Peoples choice I split the money. Kcbs judges.

There are tons of events every year that are not sanctioned. As an example, WilliePallooza is a not sanctioned by the KCBS and is a NY State Championship that is in it's 5th or 6th year.

I would address the issue with as many local teams as possible and see if they would attend both events. If they would, I would proceed. There are people on the Brethren that will offer advice and guide you through pretty much every aspect of running a contest.

There are also other sanctioning bodies.

The KCBS offers

1) Legitimacy - some teams feel more secure attending an event that has the KCBS imprimatur. That's just the plain truth and you can't get around that. There are also plenty of teams that will participate either way.

2) A set of established rules that organizers, judges and teams are familiar with. There are other rule sets that are just as valid, including the BBQ Brethren competition guides.

3) Event reps that will come in and handle the oversite of the rules and adjudication. These people are independent contractors who are free to work other events. There are also people who are no longer associated with the KCBS, but are excellent reps and work numerous contests each year. 2 actually live in New Jersey and may be local.

Eric

Check with IBCA, they might be interested. They just did one in Hawaii this year. Wait, Hawaii in July or New Jersey in October..

But seriously, they might be interested.

have you contacted MABA , they are in your area and may be interested or what about making it a BBQ Brethren event?

Sal

I didn't do SitnFat's unsanctioned comp because it was the same weekend as a big "local" KCBS event, but everything I heard was that it went well, except for an accident on the interstate. My FIL was gonna judge but couldn't get there in time.

Does Harrisburg have a backyard division? If so, that might affect your turnout. I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking, but is your date flexible? Would you consider moving it, even by a week or two, so that some teams can do both events? MABA-land may have a cornucopia of comps, but in some areas, teams would like to do as many as they can if they are spread out enough on the calendar. I would think this is especially true of backyard teams who don't have the drive to compete every weekend. Just a thought.

dmp

I have 2 pieces of advice for you doing an un-sanctioned contest:

1. Please have an "official" clock, show it to everyone on Friday as well as Saturday. I don't know why these clowns that do un-sanctioned contests do not think they should do this.

2. Try your best to run it as a sanctioned contest. Get a "rep" or two. Have one person act as the lead rep....the main liaison between the cooks and "the contest". If you don't do this, you are asking for trouble.

3. Make sure your purse is secure. Pay in Ca$h.

4. Get twice as many port-o-lets as someone tells you that you need.

5. Enforce the quiet time.

6. Have your stuff together before Thursday.

Ok, that's more than 2 and I could probably come up with another 6, but that will get you going.

I run a non sac event. it's hard the 1st few years. I wish you the best of luck
just treat your guest like family and things will work just fine. You'll have many great friends, that can cook BBQ. Thats a good thing

We are so glad we started our event 4 years ago

I didn't do SitnFat's unsanctioned comp because it was the same weekend as a big "local" KCBS event, but everything I heard was that it went well, except for an accident on the interstate. My FIL was gonna judge but couldn't get there in time.

Does Harrisburg have a backyard division? If so, that might affect your turnout. I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking, but is your date flexible? Would you consider moving it, even by a week or two, so that some teams can do both events? MABA-land may have a cornucopia of comps, but in some areas, teams would like to do as many as they can if they are spread out enough on the calendar. I would think this is especially true of backyard teams who don't have the drive to compete every weekend. Just a thought.

dmp
DMP,

Harrisburg does not have a backyard division that I know of. I'm flexible but KCBS has events scheduled all around me. Only my luck. haaa. Considering it's already the beginning of October and we got snow in October this year I'm kinda limited too. I'm open to any and all suggests.

Thanks
Victor

I have 2 pieces of advice for you doing an un-sanctioned contest:

1. Please have an "official" clock, show it to everyone on Friday as well as Saturday. I don't know why these clowns that do un-sanctioned contests do not think they should do this.

2. Try your best to run it as a sanctioned contest. Get a "rep" or two. Have one person act as the lead rep....the main liaison between the cooks and "the contest". If you don't do this, you are asking for trouble.

3. Make sure your purse is secure. Pay in Ca$h.

4. Get twice as many port-o-lets as someone tells you that you need.

5. Enforce the quiet time.

6. Have your stuff together before Thursday.

Ok, that's more than 2 and I could probably come up with another 6, but that will get you going.

Thanks. If you can come up with anymore feel free to list them.

Victor

I run a non sac event. it's hard the 1st few years. I wish you the best of luck
just treat your guest like family and things will work just fine. You'll have many great friends, that can cook BBQ. Thats a good thing

We are so glad we started our event 4 years ago

Which event do you run?

Thanks
Victor

Back