Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
I just got my copy of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly. I think this is the BBQ book I have been looking for. Has a lot of recipes that I will want to try. They're not exotic, just down home southern BBQ.
"Recipes and secrets from the legendary BBQ joint". I think I made a good buy with this book. BTW I ordered it from wally world and it arrived in 2 days. Dang thats fast!

I have enjoyed that one as well. The only recipe I have tried from it so far is the 'Bare Naked Brisket'. I made that wet rub and used it on a 7.5lb flat and it was quite tasty.

I love the story in the book and lots of the recipes. The brisket is my go to, the one that has you foil it. The pineapple ribs are awesome!!!! Only thing I don't love is when they try to sell you there sauce base to mix with other stuff for a recipe. We all gotta make a living though. If you like that book I think you would like" peace ,love and BBq", By Mike Mills and his daughter. My second favorite right now. enjoy your new book!

I'm trying the Memphis Dry Ribs tomorrow. I have 4 racks of STL spares. Made a triple batch of the Memphis rub today and a triple batch KC Red BBQ sauce for on the side (I put that stuff on everything). I find it interesting that after the ribs are finished smoking you give them a quick dip in white vinegar (not apple) and add a little more Memphis rub and serve. Cant wait to try it.

I've really liked everything I've made out of that book so far - and don't overlook the sides - the sweet po's with maple pecan butter, the grilled veggies with, um, I can't remember what right now - as well as the main dishes - great stuff! :thumb: That book is easily one of my favorites.

Same opinion here. If I had to keep only one BBQ book, it would be Chris'. Nothing feels intimidating or off the wall. I have tried several of the recipes and enjoy them all.

I have this book as a reader for days I can't cook...also read Mixon,Kirk,and America's Test Kitchen.
But the recipes I use mostly come from here.
I love following the story of Big Bob,and wish I'd been there back in the day after looking at the pictures!T

I use the rib rub recipe on almost all my ribs. I also use the bare naked brisket wet rub on all my briskets. Makes the best most tasty bark and burnt ends EVER.

I just got my copy of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly. I think this is the BBQ book I have been looking for. Has a lot of recipes that I will want to try. They're not exotic, just down home southern BBQ.
"Recipes and secrets from the legendary BBQ joint". I think I made a good buy with this book. BTW I ordered it from wally world and it arrived in 2 days. Dang thats fast!

Been on the road with the wifey these past few weekends, and almost pulled the trigger and bought that. Price was a bit just too high, IMO.

AND... Myron don't like Chris. He told us so.

Chris' book is my favorite bbq book and I have WAY TOO MANY. If you don't really care about crisp chicken skin but like it juicy, his loaf pan chicken is fantastic. Just make sure the bird isn't any larger than about 3.5 lb. and I like to flip the birds midcook for better smoking and browning. The peach butt is great, too, but you've gotta make some BBG sop mop...my favorite vinegar sop for sure.

Of course, the white sauce chicken is great too, but you don't want to hold him to his temps/times. Like I mentioned in a thread the other day, I couldn't figure out why he said to do the chicken at 325* for three hours, but I think it was because he was simply going by how they did it at the restaurant with FIFTY birds at a time, and a baste/flip/baste/pepper midcook. Also, it looked like their pit therm was in the lid so the grate temp would probably be lower.

Like I said though, it's my favorite bbq book and I can't wait to try more recipes in it. Oh yeah, the slaw he came up with for Martha Stewart is really good...just use half the called for onion amount if it's very strong. Regardless though, it's simply the best I've tried, whether on a fork or pulled pork sandwich.

I got the book and it is one of my favorites. I made the Peach Pork Butt and it was awesome. Good book, highly recommend.

If you don't really care about crisp chicken skin but like it juicy, his loaf pan chicken is fantastic. Just make sure the bird isn't any larger than about 3.5 lb. and I like to flip the birds midcook for better smoking and browning.

This is by far my fav chicken recipe. Try not flipping the bird next time. My skin comes out nice and crisp all around. Just not underneath that is in the juices. But the top and legs is usually very crisp skin and seasoned.

This is by far my fav chicken recipe. Try not flipping the bird next time. My skin comes out nice and crisp all around. Just not underneath that is in the juices. But the top and legs is usually very crisp skin and seasoned.

I stick to the recommended 300* for this recipe since my first time the apple sauce slather blackened a bit due to my kettle getting a little hot. I have no idea how you get crisp skin with all that moisture in the apple sauce slather, but maybe I put more on? I've only flipped the birds once out of three cooks so far and it was an attempt to get some more smoke and browning.

Anyhow, I'm open to any suggestions how to get "very crisp skin" at 300* as Chris recommends with all that slather on 'em. I assumed his temp recommendation was to prevent the blackening since I haven't had any more problems being more careful with the 300* temp. The skin isn't tough though so it's all good, and the chicken is my juiciest yet.

Back