Smoking Ribs?

H

hydramax

What cut of ribs are the best? St.Louis style,Baby back,etc... Never done many ribs cause they always seem tough when I do em.Usually stick with Butts and briskets.Any ideas on how long,tricks,wood,etc..will be appreciated.

I will say that it is always personal preference but i prefer myself to have baby backs for comp and eating.. sometimes i like st louis for eating but not all the time..

I usually give them around 3 hours and that is sufficient..

I usually do st. Louis style spares. 3-2-1 method
3 hours at 225, 2 @ 225 in foil, and 1 hours back on basting with sause every 15 min.

That last 2 and 1 are sometimes less. depends on how they look and feel.

I think spare ribs would be easier to cook than baby back because they have more fat.

Thanks everyone.And jason for the thread link-I can see there is alot of info there.THANKS

I like spares, myself. I think, dollar for dollar, it's the best value in ribs. I usually buy the cryopack. Open it up, hack off the breast bone and save it for soup, score the membrane then rub it and smoke 'til done via the bend test. No muss, no fuss.

What cut of ribs are the best? St.Louis style,Baby back,etc... Never done many ribs cause they always seem tough when I do em.Usually stick with Butts and briskets.Any ideas on how long,tricks,wood,etc..will be appreciated.

Tell us what you have been doing with ribs in the past. that may help us fine tune things. I normally cook ribs at 240 degrees. Baby backs cook in around 4 - 4 1/2 hours and spares to around 6 hours. I flip flop on foiling or not. If i foil the total cook time is usually 30 minutes shorter.

I will say that it is always personal preference but i prefer myself to have baby backs for comp and eating.. sometimes i like st louis for eating but not all the time..

I usually give them around 3 hours and that is sufficient..

3 hours for baby backs seems short. What temp are you cooking them at?

Ron L, I was using a smoker without temp indication .I did last set of ribs long ago,think like 8 hrs.Guess they ended up so chewy never went back.UGH! Temp was probably too hi is one thing.Guess I'm gonna have to try again after brethren's advice and tips.

spares have more flavor think ribeye/tenderloin
spares are cheaper per pound...about half the price
spares have more meat on them per pound
personally I like to get mine cut like a st. louis cut but a little bit into the baby back area, i know a slaughterer so I can get this done
I hate buying spares cutting off the tips and being left with short bones

One word of caution if you decide to do baby backs --- make sure you do not get "enhanced" ribs which have a sodium solution injected. Makes them taste hammy to a lot of people.

You can't really go wrong with either baby backs or spares. Look for the best value.

Ron L, I was using a smoker without temp indication .I did last set of ribs long ago,think like 8 hrs.Guess they ended up so chewy never went back.UGH! Temp was probably too hi is one thing.Guess I'm gonna have to try again after brethren's advice and tips.

You really need to find a way to accurately measure the pit temp. Maybe a cheap remote thermometer with the probe wire running in through the door? unless you know the pit temps it'svery hard to control the cooking process. unless you were at a very low temp, however, 8 hours would be way too long.

My suggestion... Pick a rib type (probably spares since they are cheaper and it won't hurt so much if you make a mistake) and practice. Trim them St. Louis style, rub em with your favorite rub, and put them into the pit at 240 degrees and wait :-D For the first cook forget about foil, spraying, etc. just cook. If your temps are around 240, start looking at them after about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. You should see the meat starting to pull away from the bone on one end. That's the first sign that they are getting close. Depending on the size of the ribs, you probably have another hour or more to go, but things are heading in he right direction. Also, pick up the rack and see how it flexes. It is probably still fairly stiff at this point. check them about every half hour. When the meat is pulled back by about 1/2 inch and the rack bends very easily, they are done.

once you get the basic timing down then you can decide if you want to foil, spray, etc. Foiling will speed up the cook and also give you a chance to add flavor to the rib (some use apple juice or cherry juice, others use bourbon or rum. I've seen mention of syrup or honey and even fruit jelly). It all depends on your tastes.

,<snip>
Trim them St. Louis style, rub em with your favorite rub, and put them into the pit at 240 degrees and wait :-D For the first cook forget about foil, spraying, etc. just cook. If your temps are around 240, start looking at them after about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. You should see the meat starting to pull away from the bone on one end. That's the first sign that they are getting close. Depending on the size of the ribs, you probably have another hour or more to go, but things are heading in he right direction. Also, pick up the rack and see how it flexes. It is probably still fairly stiff at this point. check them about every half hour. When the meat is pulled back by about 1/2 inch and the rack bends very easily, they are done.
<snip>

What does a St. Louis style trim look like?

BTW, the membrane on the ribs i buy NEVER comes off in one piece :-D

Ribs

I like Spares because I get to eat those nasty, greasy, grizzly Rib Tips.
I can only eat about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of them.
PARTY!!!!!!!
ribtip.JPG

Back