Did I buy a Tri Tip?

Stevieg891

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hope I bought my first Tri Tip. It's a Texas All Natural Tri-Tip Roast Boneless?:icon_blush: Did I get the right thing or am I going to be throwing this in the crockpot?

Lol. I was swinging buy to pick up a six pack. Always look for something that says Tri-tip. Saw this and said what the heck. Thought it seemed small and that roast word scared me.

Ha. I'm a newbie. I'll get me a ribeye and cook this up for the wifey. :mrgreen:

The grain and shape of roast doesn't look right. Looks more like a sirloin tip roast. Seen this mistake many times before by stores in the southeast.

The cooking process shouldnt be any different. Slow smoke it like at around 250, till internal hits 130 or so, then rest for 30 minutes before slicing across the grain. Should still be good. The only thing to watch out for is because this is a very lean roast, they don't do well when overcooked. Med rare at most is best.

This type of stuff if fantastic for making cold sliced roast beef sammies.. Paper thin slices off a slicer and it's a little bit of heaven.

I've cooked several of that type of cut on my kettle, indirect then a sear if you like. I'd go with as El Ropo suggested as far as cooking, I'll use a bit of red oak for smoke, would'nt crock pot though.

You can cook like a tritip or like a chuckie/brisket, BUT you can not crock pot this. It is a quality cut off the sirloin.

The marbling doesn't look like tri-tip, but a pic removed from the packaging will tell for sure. Tri-tip is a tender cut. If what you have there actually is a tri-tip then do not cook it like a tough cut, cook it like a steak. Get it room temp, grill and pull at about 128-130 internal - you got a masterpiece right there. Let it rest and slice like brisket.

Back