Smoking Jalapino Peppers?

D

Derek

I know this question probably been dug to the ground but I do have another part of the question that I can't seem to find.

So here I go.

Can I smoke the jalapino's to the point they're almost dried? And then turn them into Chipoltly peppers?

I've smoked jalapenos and seranos several times now, but have never taken them to the dehydration stage as they just don't last that long in my house. :becky:

Well, Derek, then may I suggest making a variety and sending the non-chipotle ones to me :) Just kidding. I hope you have much success with them...I bet you'll do well.

Well, Derek, then may I suggest making a variety and sending the non-chipotle ones to me :) Just kidding. I hope you have much success with them...I bet you'll do well.
If I get to make enough Sure, I can send some your way

Thanks, Derek. I was just joking around. I plan on doing a bunch of peppers this year, myself. Too bad I can't even plant yet...

Thanks, Derek. I was just joking around. I plan on doing a bunch of peppers this year, myself. Too bad I can't even plant yet...
No problem, I'm planning on growing ghost peppers & scotch bonets, Red habinero's along with red jalapino's and Red bell peppers.

( My uncle promised I can use his green house and I would give him half the crop )

Mark's chipotle process revealed

Here's an old thread of mine with pics:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1020680&postcount=1

or just read it here:

Mark's chipotle process revealed

First step: pick and rinse a $hitload of peppers. The first picture shows japs, rocoto's and hot cherry peppers; basically, everything that was rep/ripe that day.

Second step, remove stems. I do this by simultanoeusly crushing the pepper while yanking on the stem. This step also doubles the surface area which means less drying time.

Third step, load the smoker(s). I employed both my UDS and my Bandera.
1 big round tray in my UDS and 4 rectangular trays in my Bandera.

Fourth step, smoke/dry until the peppers are leathery. This took about 10 hours at 150 to 200 deg. F.

Fifth step, dry in the oven at about 150 Deg. F. until crisp. This went on overnight.

Final step, process in a blender with short pulses into the final product; a flakey powder that about halfway filled up a gallon ziplock bag

Attachments

• joel 021.jpg
    joel 021.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 142
  • joel 024.jpg
    joel 024.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 142
  • joel 023.jpg
    joel 023.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 142
  • joel 026.jpg
    joel 026.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 142
  • joel 027.jpg
    joel 027.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 142
  • joel 031.jpg
    joel 031.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 142
I take jalapenos, cut them in half, remove seeds & smoke them in my little chief for 4-6 hours. After that leave them in the smoker for about 2 days @ 150* with no smoke until dry. Grind to powder and use in rubs or whatever you want.
2lbs fresh peppers makes about 1/2C of powder

Thank you Mark, Thank you Littlechef. I will be smoking them in my wsm 22.5 smoker as soon as july first comes. ( That's when I will have the smoker in hand )

in a blender with short pulses into the final product; a flakey powder that about halfway filled up a gallon ziplock bag

Just a tip on this step. Make sure you have proper ventilation. Otherwise you will be breathing this stuff in for hours. Spoken from experience.

Derek, follow Mark's method. The man knows his chit when it comes to peppers (or anything you can pee on in a garden for that matter! :grin:). For the chipotle in adobo, just put them in your adobo sauce after step 4.

Derek, follow Mark's method. The man knows his chit when it comes to peppers (or anything you can pee on in a garden for that matter! :grin:). For the chipotle in adobo, just put them in your adobo sauce after step 4.
Will do bro,

Thanks again guys and a special thanks to Mark for letting me use the recipe and steps.

Bad BBQ Grail, bad, bad BBQ Grail.

I actually searched it up but, decided not to go there.

Back