• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which Size of Thighs Do You Prefer?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
We picked up some family size packs of thighs today for our first competition and after sorting for size there are almost equal amounts of large and medium sizes. I plan on trimming for the standard pillow shape and am curious if there is an advantage to select one size over the other. I looked closely at thighs when judging at two comps this month, and most of the thigh turn in's appeared to be from the medium size.

I do legs but I usually go with medium sized legs. They cook quicker, not that I need them to do so......I guess I’m just saying the medium sized chicken, whether legs or thighs, have less chance of getting stubborn on you and not reaching desired temps in the time you allotted, and they are easier to get into the box in a way that is pleasing to my eyes.

Out of the package I want them 7-8 oz and after trimmed anything less than 4oz goes in the trash. I want them between 4oz and 4.5oz.

As identical as possible and definitely not on the small side out of the package.

You'll also have more consistent results if you do what tduffy does and weigh them to get them very close in sized when trimmed

Hope this helps. Don't overthink your first contest. Go have fun and goal should be to turn in all 4 meats without DQ

135g plus or minus 5g trimmed. Yes, I weigh them while trimming. But....as said for your 1st comp, don't sweat it. Have fun and good luck.

Thanks for those tips on weight, it makes perfect sense...... My 'large' thighs came in between 4.0 and 4.2 ounces after trimming. I trimmed 18 of 'em, and vacuum sealed them on squares cut from a disposable cutting board thinking this might be handy when handling and injecting/seasoning after meat inspection.

IyVpTwd.jpg

Back