The time has come....to upgrade. Traeger vs Rec Tec...HELP!

Rez90

Reaction score
I have a 22.5 WSM and i love it...but i want to supplement/upgrade to a wood pellet grill.

They are the same price....about the same size (Texas Grill vs Rec Tec)...and i can't decide.

Traeger has a 3 year warranty while Rec Tec has a 6 year warranty. BUT....Traeger has been in business for over 30 years....Rec Tec....I have no idea.

I STRONGLY prefer the look of the Traeger...but from what i'm reading the Rec Tec seems to be built better....

I can't decide!!! PLEASE HELP!??! :cry::mrgreen::twitch:

I just bought a Louisiana grills one. 3 year warranty and it is made on our shore not china. Looking at the rec tec site it doesn't say where it's made. To me that's a big deal

I'm pretty sure that by lookin at them, you can tell the barrels are probably made at the same china shop. I have a heavily modified traeger and while I have a way higher top end temp, 200 500 the rec Tec performs just as well.
here is a performance review of the Rec Tec
If your buying it to replace a grill you will be dissatisfied as most pellet owners are. It's easy to make up a direct grilling setup though. Rec Tec also uses stainless parts also where as traeger doesn't.

I'm pretty sure that by lookin at them, you can tell the barrels are probably made at the same china shop. I have a heavily modified traeger and while I have a way higher top end temp, 200 500 the rec Tec performs just as well.
here is a performance review of the Rec Tec
If your buying it to replace a grill you will be dissatisfied as most pellet owners are. It's easy to make up a direct grilling setup though. Rec Tec also uses stainless parts also where as traeger doesn't.

Thank you for the help. I am not replacing my grill though...I will be primarily using this for smoking.

and there it is right on the box of the picture of the performance review. lets be a little prouder of our own products. Louisiana grills are made here.!! the price is too comparable to go china http://www.louisiana-grills.com/

I've owned my Texas for one year now and have used it every week since I bought it last November. Ran it three days straight for a big cook last May without any problems. I bought mine at Costco and for the price point I don't think I could have done better. Probably going to add one more Traeger to my collection but I can't figure out which one.

and there it is right on the box of the picture of the performance review. lets be a little prouder of our own products. Louisiana grills are made here.!! the price is too comparable to go china http://www.louisiana-grills.com/
Don't know which state your from, but until your president straightens china out that way American products can compete, I myself would buy a grill that is $$$ cheaper. Wait I did. When the American public is pinching pennies and if your like my wife and I, paying $.55 of tax on every $1 you make, you learn to penny pinch. So at thIs state in time, it is what it is, 1 or 1000 sales won't make a difference. Maybe one day! Faith is a powerful thing though.

Question is

Where are the Rec-tech grills made? I still don't know....
And P.S. I like the fact that it doesn't look like every other grill out there. Not sure if red is the best color but.... to each his own.

I owned a Lil Tex for several years and it gave me good service for what it is--an entry level pellet smoker.
Can't help you with the Rec Tec.

The pellet smoker/grill market has exploded.
Lots of options at every price point.

Happy Shopping 8)

TIM

BBQ sauce reviews just did a review on the rec tec. I believe he said it was made in china.

I'm EXACTLY in the same boat looking for an entry level pellet pooper. Thus far,I've been leaning toward the GMG Jim Bowie just based on reviews I've read. I like the look of the Rec Tec but it doesn't have a cover made for it and that bothers me. In fact, it lacks accessories all together. I want something I can cook at home with as well as comps, so space is another thing I've been looking at. My two cents.

Don't forget to look at GMG (green mountain grills). I hear they have some features that other pellet grills don't have.

New

I know nothing about pellet grills. However the major deciding factor in anything I buy new is that it is "Made in USA".

If your buying used private sale it's not as critical in my mind. So if they're both American made, I'd take the one with the longer warranty.

I bought a Traeger to go along with my big steel keg. The traeger is great. I got lil tex elite. It stays at a steady 240-260 when set at 250. Good flavor.

If you are using as a smoker strictly, look at Yoder. Excellent smoke flavor for a pellet pit, fantastic customer service, and made in the USA.

We have 10 Traegers at the office (fire stations) and no offense but they are not a reliable high quality machine. Poor temp control, lots of replacement controllers, augers, etc and they all look like heck after a couple short years. I've cooked some fine food on 'em, but they are not a pleasure to cook on. Smoking meat should be pleasurable.

Rec Tec has some better components but underneath they are a Traeger with a better controller and are a chinese manufactured product.

I prefer to smoke with lump and wood but I like long lasting stuff, I would save my money and wait for a MAK, Memphis or Yoder. They actually cost less if you factor in the life of the product.

My $.02

SeeFyre--all I can say is Hell Yea.

Back