Our chicken entry and how it was scored

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our chicken entry and how it was scored at Rock 'n Ribfest

Taken from Pigtrip.net 6-28-2007

Can you fry chicken at a BBQ contest?

The most interesting entry in the chicken category looked more like something from General Gau (who’s never been seen in the same room at the same time as General Tso) than something from a barbecue contest. All of the judges silently wondered whether the six thighs were smoked or fried or something in between. They had a light coating of egg wash and flour that enabled them to retain a crisp skin. The rub was unique, with lots of cinnamon, and the faint coating of sauce had a coconut flavor. Highly unusual, but evidently legal. As long as they used wood and smoke and not oil, this was fair game. The flavor was good and the tenderness of the meat was perfect. Usually an entry does well across the board or poorly across the board, with the three scores for appearance, taste and tenderness not necessarily identical but somewhat close. This was a rare example of a 5-7-9 score from me. I don’t think it had a chance to win, but I really enjoyed that chicken and give props to the team for submitting something creative and different.

Should the scores for each entry be similar?

That chicken entry and the unusual way I scored it reminded me of a discussion I overheard the very first time I judged. One of the judges was questioning the credibility of another judge who scored an entry a 9 for tenderness but a 7 for taste, or vice versa. His argument was that if one category deserved a similarly high score, so did the other. I disagree. Take the most perfect ribs (or chicken, or whatever) imaginable. They’d deserve a 9 for taste and a 9 for tenderness. What if those same ribs were pulled from the smoker 90 minutes earlier or 90 minutes later? The tenderness would be shot either way, but the taste would be the same and still deserve a 9. Take those imaginary perfectly cooked ribs, add an extra cup of black pepper and baste them with the fishy water from a can of tuna. The taste would be shot, but the tenderness would be the same and still deserve a 9. I know competition cooks who lament that they’ve cooked two briskets, one with great taste and iffy texture and the other with great texture but a little off on taste. Taste and tenderness are separate categories for a reason.

PS: We will no longer cook chicken in this fashion. I guess being a conformist will ultimately score higher. Even though the author admitted that the chicken tasted good and was cooked perfectly, he chose to score it poorly because it was not red in color.

Guy - with a 5th place finish overall, how did your chicken place ??

I would not let one score get you down as the lowest score gets dropped, unless everyone gave it horrible scores...

The Polocks have become semi famous for their "fried chicken"....but you must do what is best.

Vinny,

We placed 2nd in Brisket, 4th in ribs, 8th in Pork and 26th in chicken. If we placed higher in chicken who knows what would have happened. It doesn't matter. It's just a barbecue contest and we are not sore in the least. This is not a knock on judging either. It's just one judges commentary on our chicken. We spoke to the gentleman after the contest and he explained why he judged the way we did. He had solid reasons why he judged the way he did and even though we didn't agree, we felt he was genuwine. He is actually the first real judge feedback we have ever had and like it or not he shared his reasons why. For that we are very thankful. So much for creativity. He shared the facts that at the judges table: If it doesn't look like BBQ, smell like BBQ or taste like BBQ it won't be judged highly. In short, it can't look like fried chicken. It has to have a red BBQ sauce and we heard him loud and clear. It took a few times but we learned our lesson. Thick headed Polock mod.

Last edited:
You tried this again?

Yea, I know, us thick headed Polocks! This thread is actually the death rattle for that recipe. There will be no more, World Famous in Long Island, Two Fat Polocks BBQ Fried Chicken. RIP. We are working on a new but more conventional recipe.

Das recipe ist Kaputski!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Very interesting thread Guy. Thanks for posting it.

The way I was taught in the judging class to judge chicken might influence the way that recipe scores.

The first time a judge sees it, it is one of six boxes opened and passed in front of each judge by the table captain. You only get a hands-off view of it. I would imagine that some judges would have a hard time figuring out how to score it for appearance if it doesn't look like "bbq chicken" as that has traditionally been defined. That being the case, one would be tempted to not score it high for appearance in that it doesn't appear to look like bbq chicken. That score is put down on the card before anyone tastes it and can not be changed once it is tasted.

Once all six entries are on the serving "plate" each entry is tasted in the order they were given out. I was taught to pull back the skin and taste the chicken and give it a mental score for taste. Then the skin is to be tasted. If it adds something to the taste, add a point. If it distracts from the taste, deduct a point. The tenderness/texture score does not relate to the skin/coating.

You are probably aware of all of this, but I can see how the process of judging could infuence the scoring of this recipe much more than it would with a more conventional recipe.

I wish I would have had the chance to try it. Sounds like I would like it a lot.

Edit: Well hell, I just saw that you took the judging class too, so you know all of this already. Oh well, I was just trying to be helpful

Last edited:
I can sell ya a recipe for GUARANTEED 13th place chicken

Steve,

After the contest, Gary and I were talking about the contest and how much we enjoyed it. I said to Gary, you know if Steve was here, we could have come in 13th for chicken. :biggrin:

Our chicken entry and how it was scored at Rock 'n Ribfest

Taken from Pigtrip.net 6-28-2007

Can you fry chicken at a BBQ contest?

The most interesting entry in the chicken category looked more like something from General Gau (who’s never been seen in the same room at the same time as General Tso) than something from a barbecue contest. All of the judges silently wondered whether the six thighs were smoked or fried or something in between. They had a light coating of egg wash and flour that enabled them to retain a crisp skin. The rub was unique, with lots of cinnamon, and the faint coating of sauce had a coconut flavor. Highly unusual, but evidently legal. As long as they used wood and smoke and not oil, this was fair game.

quote]

I don't know if there is a rule that states you can't use oil. As long as you cook using wood, charcoal or pellets. My dutch oven will get oil hot enough to fry chickenc using charcoal as a heat source.
But your right, the judges expect to see traditional BBQ chicken. Color and all.

darn conformity...gets in the way every time...I hate that! Good Chicken is good chicken...will you still make it for friends???:mrgreen:

There is. Meat can't be boiled and it can't be fried.

From the KCBS Rules:

"Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed."

Various definitions of "deep frying":

Method of frying food by immersing it in hot fat or oil.
www.recipegoldmine.com/glossary/glossaryD.html
[SIZE=-1]is cooking in hot fat deep enough to submerge the food.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]arthuravenuebronx.com/cooking_vocabulary.htm[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cooking food by totally immersing it in heated cooking oil or fat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]www.glencoe.com/sec/busadmin/marketing/dp/rest_mgmt/gloss.shtml[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Deep frying is a cooking method whereby food is submerged in hot oil or fat. It is an extremely fast way to cook. Despite the use of liquid oil, it is best classified as a dry cooking method. Deep frying originated in Africa. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_frying [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]--------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]TIM[/SIZE]

The infamous Pollack "fried chicken" recipe may be kaputski for comps, but it will live on in many backyards across this great land of ours.!

I am using my variation of Guy's recipe this Wednesday along with some other tasty treats.
Happy Birthday America!

Too bad, as a judge I think I could look past the fried look. I just love different ways to make BBQ. After the first fiasco I assume you were in touch with the contest rep beforehand to assure them it was indeed BBQ.
At that point he should have informed the table captain of it's uniqueness and instructed him/her to pass that info along to the judges. After that it should be able to stand up to its own merit.
I live for the day somebody gets the cojones to serve up some wings cooked in a like manner. I shall respond in a grand fashion if they are indeed as good as they should be.
ModelMaker

Original post W/recipe
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19279&highlight=fried+chicken

From the KCBS Rules:

"Parboiling and/or deep-frying competition meat is not allowed."

Various definitions of "deep frying":

Method of frying food by immersing it in hot fat or oil.
www.recipegoldmine.com/glossary/glossaryD.html
[SIZE=-1]is cooking in hot fat deep enough to submerge the food.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]arthuravenuebronx.com/cooking_vocabulary.htm[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cooking food by totally immersing it in heated cooking oil or fat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]www.glencoe.com/sec/busadmin/marketing/dp/rest_mgmt/gloss.shtml[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Deep frying is a cooking method whereby food is submerged in hot oil or fat. It is an extremely fast way to cook. Despite the use of liquid oil, it is best classified as a dry cooking method. Deep frying originated in Africa. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_frying [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]--------------------------------[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]TIM[/SIZE]

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.

Yea, I know, us thick headed Polocks! This thread is actually the death rattle for that recipe. There will be no more, World Famous in Long Island, Two Fat Polocks BBQ Fried Chicken. RIP. We are working on a new but more conventional recipe.

Das recipe ist Kaputski!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't care what the judges say, that chicken was fantastic! Please don't make it kaputski!!

Odd as it may seem, 'fried chicken' is a legal KCBS entry as long as the heat source is per the rules. This was confirmed by the BOD last year and published in a statement in the Bullsheet.
The Board did not change the rule for 2007 that disallows 'deep frying' but that does not disallow 'frying',,,,

Back