smoke history apps

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Are there any apps out there for iPad or android that I can document my cooks?

Google meat log or something like that. I saw a log like that once.

I thought I was anal about this until I saw this other guy's log. It goes something like this:

Date, time, wind, humidity, temp, meat type, fresh/frozen, purchased from, purchase date, rub wet/dry/type, rub time, injection, injection time, pit type, pit temp, heat source/type (gas/wood/charcoal), mfg, smoke wood, duration of cook, stall time/temp, IT at pull, rest/cool time, mop/sauce/glaze, taste

You could obviously add things like this for a UDS smoke: Valve 1 closed, Valve 2 open, Ball Valve 50% open.

The data is nice to have to give you baselines and guidelines and landmines, but IMHO it takes all the fun out of smoking meat.

Google meat log

Sorry, that just made me giggle. I don't even want to think about the search results... :heh:

Find a good note app. I use Evernote. Not sure what kind of Android device you have, phone or tablet, etc., but on my HTC device it has a great not taking app by default.
It even allows for voice dictation for notes.

The iGrill (iOS devices) does a good job of outputting the temp data for their 2 probes to a file that can be pulled into an excell spreadsheet and then I suppliment with a cook word document to go in my cool log. I usually let probe 1 be the ambient temp of the cook chamber and probe 2 be the meat. The file transferred keeps all the labels, etc. - it is pretty handy.

John,
Just having fun with you...no worries. I work in IT and monitor/review logs for all kinds of web searches, page hits, etc. Some things would just make you smile...as your post did.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

John,
Just having fun with you...no worries. I work in IT and monitor/review logs for all kinds of web searches, page hits, etc. Some things would just make you smile...as your post did.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

You are welcome. I too work in IT!

On Google playstore there is an Android app called pit pal. Very good app for cook logs. It just won't let you move the app to SD card.

Thanks...I have an iPad, and a Samsung Galaxy player. I do have the pit pal on my Galaxy. I tried to use it once, but for some reason(don't remember exactly), it didn't work like I expected. Need to try it again.

Back