• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp chicken on Weber kettle

"Bone to Bark" BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just curious about how this would work...... Does anyone else use a 22" kettle for their chicken. What temp do you cook at? Just looking for a little input or tips you can share!

In my vast experience (1 comp) I did mine on a 22.5 OTG...but I've also done it this way at home for years.

I did thighs and put the coals off to one side, put the chicken off to the other side for indirect heat. It was around 300 degrees, though I didn't keep an accurate recording of the temp. Just looked for the thin blue and left it alone for about 60 minutes, except when I turned it at 45 minutes into the cook.

I put sauce on at 60 minutes and then did 15 minutes with the sauce to carmelize it a little bit.

I guess it was OK. No walk, but I stood 16 of 53 teams in my first comp, so I was happy. Will be doing the same basic thing in a couple weeks as it went very well on my practice cook last weekend.

Thanks, Outnumbered. That's about how I do (and have done) it. The only thing I've done different is that last summer I bought a stainless steel cookie sheet for $.50 that I lay over the coals at one end to keep the chicken parts from getting too crispy too fast.

Before I built my chicken cooker I would cook chicken on a Weber grill. I would set up the coals on one side and cook the chicken on the other side of the grill. It worked OK, but not perfect.

-Mike

Up until this year we have used a 22" Weber kettle for finishing our chicken. Just the last 10 minutes. We stopped because it can burn the sauce on the bottom if your not really watching it. I thought it was the best way to achieve bite through skin. The chance of burning it was no longer worth the risk . We did walk with this method but it was risky to do for us. Your cook may be different.

We just switched up to the 26" kettle but the basic techniques are unchanged. Muffin pan or steam tray, indirect heat. Skin down until 95% cooked, then flip skin up and heave on a ton of smoke (for color mostly, the skin won't take much flavor in the few mins its on)

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Outnumbered you doing Lees Summit?

I'm not. Trying to ease my way in this year to keep the wife happy. I've got Platte City in 2 weeks. Then I'll do Smokin on the Pecos in June in Artesia, NM. My wife is from Artesia, so we kill two birds with one stone. See the in-laws and do a comp.

Will do Kearney, MO again and likely one more this year. Not sure where yet.

When I used a 22 1/2" OTS for comp chicken, I used a foil pan down the middle of the charcoal grate with charcoal on either side. I placed the chicken down the center of the cooking grate. I trid to cooked above 300 degrees and turned the chicken once after about 45 minutes. Total cook time was about 90 minutes including saucing prior to boxing.

Benny

Before I built my chicken cooker I would cook chicken on a Weber grill. I would set up the coals on one side and cook the chicken on the other side of the grill. It worked OK, but not perfect.

-Mike

i'll have to take a closer look at this "chicken cooker" while you're at the hotel in lexington. :laugh:

or, i'll just bring over a beah and ask. :becky:

I bought those charcoal baskets for my 22 OTG and then put a sheet of aluminum foil down between the baskets. It does two things. First, it forces the air to go through the baskets rather than up the middle. Second, it catches the grease/sauce drippings and afterwards I can just toss it.

Just be sure to have the lid vent over the middle section not over one side of the charcoal. I've forgotten a couple of times and the coals that are the furthest away from the vent will go a LOT colder than the vented side. Makes for a lopsided cook.

Cook the chicken at about 350 to about 180-185, then sauce and return to the grill for 10-15 minutes.

Russ

When you are doing your chicken on the kettle (as I'll have to next Saturday), do you vary your temps? ie. Do you cook for an hour at 250 and then jack up the heat to 325 for a period?

Eric

I have and put my coals in those triangle things for indirect cooking and have my fire on the side and cook at about 475 and done in 45 min

Yep. We use a kettle for chicken at comps, and usually run it around 400-450 and done in about 45 minutes.

I won First Place at a comp last year cooking chicken on my Performer. Same technique as FuntimeBBQ above. Foil pan down the middle, charcoal baskets on either side. They seem to help keep temps more even from side to side.

for you guys that are running temps of 350 or higher and are cooking for over an hour, are you cooking boneless thighs and or scraping the skin? I ask because it seems like my chicken is done much faster than that and I am running at a max of 300 for maybe 45 minutes???

You can also take your water pan out of a WSM, and cook the chicken on the top grate. Then you can get your temp up to 350-375.

Back