Brisket Chili Question

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Somehow tried to post this question to the Brethren and now cannot find it.
Anyway, thinking about smoking brisket for an upcoming chili event for work. Will be making about 5 Gals chili and would appreciate some input on how to cook the brisket. Should it be cooked like normal, i.e. 195 and foil or would you suggest finish a little lower, let cool, and refrigerate. It will have to be chopped and into the chili for about 3 hours simmering. Really would appreciate any Brethren thoughts about this. Thanks to all.:|

I used brisket in a work related chili competition a couple of weeks ago and it worked out great. I used mediocre leftover brisket from a competition so it was cooked normally. I chopped up the flat and the deckle for the chili pot. The texture of the meat seemed to really absorb the chili flavor. It was delicious and I did win 1st place.

I just use leftovers for chili as well. Just cook the brisket like normal.

Know now what I am going to use my less than moist brisket for.

FatBoyz - Thanks, that looks more like the info I needed. Will cook a few days ahead and may very well add some tenderloin. Appreciate the web sit to. Off to work:biggrin:

the more smokey the brisket the more smoke flavor will infuse into the Chili!!

Know now what I am going to use my less than moist brisket for.

Yep, last winter I smoked some shoe leather (if you're using an offset in the winter, make sure you don't have the two legs with the drip pan on ice so the grease runs into the firebox instead). Anyway, the brisket was more then a bit dry - but put into chili and at least it was not wasted.

I am planning to use Fatboyz recipe on the 30th of this month at our annual company chili cook-off.
I took 1st place last year with a diff. recipe, and hope to have a repeat performance this year.
Hta's off to Fatboyz for this delicious sounding recipe!:-D
I'll let the Brethern know how I make out this year...
Let us know how you do in your cook-off, Meatburner...

I made some great brisket chili for a United Way cookoff a few weeks ago. I would have done better but the chili they tried before mine was so hot, the judges probably couldn't have even tasted mine. If it would have been peoples choice, I would have done much better.

I am planning to use Fatboyz recipe on the 30th of this month at our annual company chili cook-off.
I took 1st place last year with a diff. recipe, and hope to have a repeat performance this year.
Hta's off to Fatboyz for this delicious sounding recipe!:-D
I'll let the Brethern know how I make out this year...
Let us know how you do in your cook-off, Meatburner...

Thank you for the kind words I have won 7 times with that chilli i hope it does as good for you

If I'm adding Brisket to Chillis I don't normally smoke it any different, If I'm planning ahead I might go heaver when spicing the rub.

I'm not a fan of pulled brisket (in a Chilli) though, I prefer it cubed, add's more body and gives you somethnig to chew away the burn!

Back