Portable Sink/Prep Table????

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm looking to either buy or build a portable prep table with a sink built into it. I would rather buy it already made, but if someone has something they built and want to share the design that would be great.

Academy sells a folding fish cleaning table, but I'm looking for something a little more sturdy.

I have been thinking about the same thing for a while....something like a simple 2X4 frame with a cheap countertop and a large sink. A simple garden-hose hookup and a flexible drain tube long enough to get the wash water away from the cook area.

Here is what I use. Bought the shelf at Sams and just cut the hole for the sink. It also has a container for fresh water with a battery operated pump incase we are somewhere withot running water.

Attachments

• trailer 009.jpg
    trailer 009.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 425
If I know me like I think I know me, I'd get one of these laundry room plastic sinks ($45 at big box hardware stores) and simply put it next to my prep table. Might even make a lid for it so I could use it as a serving table.

513f0124-1e88-4ab8-a686-5687b5ade180_300.jpg

Guess you sorta got to figure out how big of a sink you are talking about, though.

Also, remember the more sturdy it is, the heavier it will be.

Lastly, it wouldn't be too difficult to take a folding table and drop a sink in to it (shouldn't be too hard to find a kitchen sink on craigslist for cheap).

Check this one out. Looks like it's a sink dropped in to one of those plastic cabinets.

5.jpg

And this was posted a couple years ago

PORTABLE%20SINK%20DOUBLE.3.gif

If you were really handy, you could make it so the side tables were hinged so they would close for easy storage. Sorta like this:

mazas%20su%20prailginimu%20uzdarytas_l.jpg

I made a table a few years back. Can't find a picture to share. Used a Chargriller stainless steel sink unit that has a quick connect for a garden hose. The sinks drain into a bucket in the cabinet underneath. Made the table 8 feet long with a wooden 2x4 frame and 8" pneumatic caster wheels. Then I got carried away with my creation and paneled the sides with tongue and groove knotty pine. Added cement board and ceramic tile to the top. Very nice table, heavy enough to hold the canopy in strong winds, but, too farking heavy to move. :mad2:

It works well enough for where I live now. Roll it out of the garage (a 10 foot journey) in spring, then back in the garage in the fall.

My observation with the few (the well run ones) comps I've done is that they will have places to drop your gray water. Most I've been to freak out if you just let it trickle out of a hose, etc. So you'll need a drain basin that can be moved to the gray water dump. Just a reminder for those looking to build one for comps... I saw a team with a large drum on a dolly... 3 guys trying to dump it. Suffice it to say that it didn't quite work out.

What was the cost on this unit?

Here is what I use. Bought the shelf at Sams and just cut the hole for the sink. It also has a container for fresh water with a battery operated pump incase we are somewhere withot running water.

I like it. Do you know if Sam's still carries that table?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I built mine. I took an old 6ft folding table and removed the legs. Then I bought a piece of HDPE and screwed the legs to it. Then get a jigsaw and cut a hole out for the sink. The cutout piece can be used for a cutting board. You should also get a router and put a radius on all of the edges.

Edit: That link is just an example. I would recommend buying locally to avoid high shipping costs.

I bought the same table at Sam's for about $115 as best I remember and a double laundry sink at Lowes I think or Home Depot. You can get single sinks as well. I like the utility (laundry) sink because it is so deep and I can wash my big pots.
picture.php

I have had my eye on a similar three tub sink as the second one that TN BBQ posted but can't justify it since I should be able to build one for less. I wish there were some written plans somewhere as my plumbing skills are lacking...

For your gray water you can go to a rv supply and get a portable gray/black water tank. The have wheels on them and can be pulled around easy and drained easy.

I have had my eye on a similar three tub sink as the second one that TN BBQ posted but can't justify it since I should be able to build one for less. I wish there were some written plans somewhere as my plumbing skills are lacking...

Right brain :p

You can find the cabinet for $49 at Kmart (Suncast base cabinet)

Craigslist is a great place to find cheap sinks (saw a couple on local CL this month with faucets for $20)

Trace the sink, drill some pilot holes and break out the jigsaw.

As far as all the plumbing...not a big deal. All drains connect together and end up in the same place. The hot and cold are only an issue if you plan on to hook up some sort of hot water heater (then you need to split your incoming line with the one going to your heater before it goes to the faucet)

1.jpg

I bought the same table at Sam's for about $115 as best I remember and a double laundry sink at Lowes I think or Home Depot. You can get single sinks as well. I like the utility (laundry) sink because it is so deep and I can wash my big pots.
picture.php

For quick hand washing and such, it works fine, but your right the sink is a little small but with some practice you get the hang of it. We have started useing alot of disposable pans and cutting boards so they dont need to be washed, just throw them away.

Back