First time sausage (Pr0n)

I was curious how well the stuffer worked. It's a really inexpensive upgrade to the grinder, which I use all the time. I don't think I'd use it enough to warrant a dedicated stuffer. Where did you get your casings?

You will now. :wink:

Your sausages look like they are pretty tasty. After looking at your first picture, it looks like you might have the wrong size plate on for your grinder or the meat is just too moist when you are grinding it. It will stuff much better if it is less moist and make sure you have no knife in there when you go to stuff it. That should help out a little. But, the best advise I can get is to get a dedicated stuffer and a dedicated grinder if you are going to be doing this on a regular basis. It will go much smoother for you. Making your own sausage is a great thing to know how to do. Welcome to the club!

It should look more like this texture:

Attachments

• meat.jpg
    meat.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 69
Your sausages look like they are pretty tasty. After looking at your first picture, it looks like you might have the wrong size plate on for your grinder or the meat is just too moist when you are grinding it. It will stuff much better if it is less moist and make sure you have no knife in there when you go to stuff it. That should help out a little. But, the best advise I can get is to get a dedicated stuffer and a dedicated grinder if you are going to be doing this on a regular basis. It will go much smoother for you. Making your own sausage is a great thing to know how to do. Welcome to the club!

It should look more like this texture:

The meat wasn't cold enough so the fat was gumming it up. I can't remember the technical term but as a first time it went well.

I was curious how well the stuffer worked. It's a really inexpensive upgrade to the grinder, which I use all the time. I don't think I'd use it enough to warrant a dedicated stuffer. Where did you get your casings?

I picked them up at bass pro. They are the collegen ones. I want to try the hog casings but didn't want to take the time to wash them ect.

:oops: See, what happened was.........

Ok enough about that. Back to the topic at hand...........

I was shopping around for the grinder attachment for the KA mixer and decided to go with a stand-alone grinder. #12 1/2 hp grinders are at Northern Tool and Harbor Freight (on sale often at $99 &$60 respectively). Figured I'd save any problems using the mixer and the stand-alone does handle the meat a lot faster, as a bonus they come with the stuffer attachment and 3 plates.
Not the best quality grinder but it will do for now.
Made 2 batches of sausage, and now the experimenting begins and a coarse grind on the beef makes a better chili :-D

I'll bet you learned something else too: homemade sausage is far superior to store bought!

Looks very good, and yes, I see a dedicated stuffer in your future! After a couple batches with the KA I got a 5# vertical stuffer and never looked back.

Nice work and congrats!
Trie using the KA stuffer when making Bratwurst, ended up with a whole bunch of patties. Looking a buying a verticle myself.

Back