Space with Camper?

BigDW

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I recently received a 23’ travel trailer in good shape that I was thinking about using at comps. The standard space for the ones I’m planning on participating in is 30’x20’ so I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on if this would work or should I request a larger space?

Thanks for the input!

I guess it depends on how you plan to layout your stuff. Our toy hauler is 25 ft. total length (from the back of the trailer to the tip of the tongue) but we have been cooking with the ramp supported on jack stands so that adds another 8 feet, so I go for a 20 x 40.

Is the trailer 23 ft. over all or is the tongue in addition to that? You can probably fir into a 30 ft. space but there won't be room behind the trailer for much.

The trailer and tongue will use up a full 30 feet, leaving you with about a six foot span down one side of your site after you account for door swing and clearance. Depending on your cooker configuration, awnings, slideouts etc.. you could fit in a 20x30, but it will be very tight.

I can tell you from bitter experience as an organizer that very, very few teams with RVs can fit in a 20x30. Just because your camper is labled as an X ft, doesn't mean much. You have to put a tape on it yourself with everything opened up to really know what the footprint is.

I appreciate the question and the answers given so far. I have a camper, a smaller older 1972 Forrester, that I will be using for the first time this year and i would have never thought to measure from back to tongue so I definitely learned something.

It depends on if you're using a travel trailer or a toy hauler. Our trailer is 22' but with tongue and bumper it's 26, and about 8 feet wide.We cook with WSM's, so there isn't an issue with rear gates. Our door is just in entrance and exit, and doesn't swing out more then a couple of feet.
The I can usually back our truck into the space as well, and if I'm overlapping the space at all, it's only by a couple of inches, which usually isn't an issue for us. Worst case I could unnload the truck and park it in a lot, but that's just more of a PITA.

We have plenty of room for the cookers, tables, etc. in the space that's left

I guess it would depend on the organizer, but we've been at comps where folks have had toy haulers that, when open, exceeded thier site size, but we just let them unload thier cookers, etc. and then close the back and they're set. If you plan to do that, arrive early!

On the other hand, we've been at one or two where folks paid for a 20x20 and expected to get 30' plus into their space. Organizers tend not to be happy about that!

Thanks. It’s not a toy hauler, just a simple old travel trailer with an entry door that swings out just a foot or two. I’m certain it will fit in the 30’ length with the hitch but am also thinking I’ll do a layout test in my yard this weekend. Ideally I’d like to have a layout like you described Stoke&Smoke but with my 48" offset I might be pushing it.

Your trailer will be fine, getting parked will be your problem.Ours is 28ft and we fit most places fine.
The problem you will run into is assigned spots when you are parellel parking on a street and your neighbors in front and back have already arrived.. you wont have room to get backed in square and unhooked from the trailer. Or if the asle is narow and you need to back between two teams that are already setup.
An email/phone call to the contest contact will generally assure you can get in. The earlier you arrive the easier it is.
Most in this area are accomodating/expecting bigger trailers every year.

^^^^^^
ding ding ding! That's why we try to be early whenever possible!

Back