My smoker needs a blanket....brrrrr

With the frigid temps here and my desire to smoke more I think I'm going to look at the welding blanket route too

PWA runs non-insulated UDS's off wicked good weekend warrior lump in -43F weather in AK and puts out some great looking food. No blankets needed according to him.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
PWA runs non-insulated UDS's off wicked good weekend warrior lump in -43F weather in AK and puts out some great looking food. No blankets needed according to him.

Probably more than the outside temp, it's the wind that affects my drums. When I blanket them I fold together until I have a 20" or so wide piece, three layers thick. I wrap this at grate level, not at the firebox. You can see a blanket above the center rib in this photo.

12-16-12019aaaa.jpg

Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.

Welding blankets are made from fiberglass cloth that has been heat treated. All the little fuzzy stuff has been burned off so it wont get into your skin and make you itch.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

what smoker are you trying to wrap?
I use silver bubble wrap from Home Depot on my drum(been using the same piece for 5 years) and it gives me a 30 degree bump in grate temp.
My Egg only gets an umbrella when it rains.
My stick smoker doesn't get nuffin cause its a sunny day, get the whole clan, buddy. And I like looking at it as much as cooking on it.

I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?

Gotta agree with Jim!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS!!!! Besides Melting They WILL ruin the Paint on Your Smoker and definatly make it an UGLY Drum Smoker

Dusty

I use a welding blanket from Harbor Freight. Folded over and wrapped around does really well. I don't think it takes much insulation. Tip, don't use bungee chords to hold it on. They will melt. I need to pick up some tie downs with ratchets on them.

For ribs or something like that, I can do without the blanket by lighting a bigger fire and using more fuel. The blanket comes in handy for a 12 hr cook. I've done it without the blanket at -5*, but it used up all the fuel and needed refueling at like 10 hr.

Also, remember that wind is much worse that cold. So make sure your problem isn't the wind.

Back