Newbie with serious Smoker Equipement Question

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone ... this will officially be my 2nd post to the site; after better part of 2 months as an avid reader. I am finally at a point in my life along with my buddy Craig to where I'm ready to step up my Smoke Game. Until now, we've been using pretty generic run of the mill smokers and are, well tired of the the heat control and leaks, and all that. So I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to 2 smokers a Lang 84 and a Johnson Smoker.

We are hoping to tune our skills and sometime next year attempt our first competition. We will also be doing some catering on the side, hence the reason for a little larger rig.

Would love everyone's thoughts on this as well as thoughts on Reverse Flow.

My two choices are:
Lang 84 Delux Wagon

or

Johnson Med Adv 10' Trailer

Both are reverse flow, about the same size, and offer trailer space. The plus going for the Johnson is that it is less than an hour drive from my place and they actually respond to emails/phone calls. I've emailed Lang 6 times and left 3 voice mails and still have yet to hear from them.

We are open to other suggestions as well. I Just don't want to make such a large monetary investment and regret it.

Thanks,
Gerry

Call Ben in the morning - best time.
There is nothing wrong with a Lang... except getting the wrong size.

They seem to shrink in size from constant use... needing a bigger smoker.
Love my 84 Deluxe Kitchen!

We are a Lang team and I wouldn't trade her for anything...

As for getting hold of Ben, try him first thing in the morning before he gets out to the shop.

Thanks guys - I will try him again tomorrow. I am curious though if anyone knows much about the Johnson Smokers? http://www.johnsonsmokers.com

I really love the Lang Smoker. I've seen it but with lack of communication and recent review issues I've been reading and hearing about with communication, quality of welds, I'm a little worried.

I was in your same position about a month ago. I really liked the langs and wanted an 84.

I kept noticing posts and pics by TuscaloosaQ of smokers he had built. So I called him and told him what I was looking for. About a month later I picked up this bute. I love it. Paul and his son Tyler are excellent welders and fabricators.

Unless you are just sold on a Lang you should pm TuscaloosaQ and talk with him. He will save you alot of money and the quality is second to none.
DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1316.jpg

check out meadow creek smokers also

Last edited:
SeriousBBQs - so very true! I've rule out any smoker with less than 1/4" ... weight I don't mind. I do not want to loose heat like I do now when a stupid gust of wind comes up. I know the 1/4" takes a bit to warm up but once there holds heat very nicely!

You can get a Klose or Pitmaker without leaving TX. I would look at those too. Top quality stuff from both of them.

Back