• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

FEC 100 Alternative/Back-up Power

Kentster911

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I see the back-up power mentioned in a few threads and would like to know from everyone what inverter they are using. I see that most are using Group 27 Deep Cycle marine batteries. I am going to purchase an inverter/charger and need some options from those who are currently using them. Does it have to be pure sine? How are you connecting to battery? What do you store the battery in? Is it located next to the cooker? Pics would be awesome if anyone has any.

Thanks,

Those jumpstart type powerpacks aren't really designed for that sort of thing. The battery in them is meant for quick discharge of high amps instead of slow constant discharge. That's why folk tend to use marine (deep cell) batteries.
Even leaving a car radio on overnight can kill a car type battery which is what those jumpstart packs have in them.
You can try them....and they may work..but they also don't tend to have as many full discharge cycles in them as a marine battery.

I haven't tried them... just based on battery theory mind you.

It's still the same type of battery.. It's rated at 28 amp/hours. That means, at 1 amp, you would have 28 hours until it's completely dead. But if you run a regular battery completely out, you lose aprox 10%(ish) of it's capacity every time you do that. So now it's only good for 25 amp/hours. Then 23.....
You can normally safely discharge a battery to 60% without losing anything, so consider it roughly 17 amp/hours of usable power.
If what you are running, can run at 120v at 83watts, you should have 17 hours of runtime. Haven't seen the specs on the Yoder, but it might run under that once it's lit.

It's still the same type of battery.. It's rated at 28 amp/hours. That means, at 1 amp, you would have 28 hours until it's completely dead. But if you run a regular battery completely out, you lose aprox 10%(ish) of it's capacity every time you do that. So now it's only good for 25 amp/hours. Then 23.....
You can normally safely discharge a battery to 60% without losing anything, so consider it roughly 17 amp/hours of usable power.
If what you are running, can run at 120v at 83watts, you should have 17 hours of runtime. Haven't seen the specs on the Yoder, but it might run under that once it's lit.

Great point to consider.

Remember that what matters here is the current draw on the battery, and the battery is providing 13.8V fully charged, so any calculation of current draw for a specific power consumption should be done at 13.8V, not 110V. An FEC draws 50W, which at 13.8 V (fully charge battery) is 3.6A, so in real life your expected run time will be about 1/3 of what Rok has quoted above for a 1A draw. This also assumes that the inverter is 100% efficient, which is not the case, but the efficiency varies from inverter to inverter. I would think that most pellet cookers are in that same power range, but check the specs on your specific model.

BTW, the Xantrex power pack the iQue link has a 20AH battery, so the expected run time on that one will be lower than the Duracell.

I ran two FEC's so I had two batteries.

I highly recommend a combo inverter/charger. Inbetween contest it would lose charge. When I got to a contest, I would just plug into power and it would auto charge the batteries as needed.

I tested it routinely and just unplugged the power. It switches to battery so quick, the FE's never noticed and didn't lose any settings.

Here's the brand I use:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=818

Yea.. RonL you're right. I was flawed in my numbers..forgot about the 12v to 110v conversion that had to take place. Dang-it!!
I think I'm going to build in a UPS system into my trailer this year.
Looking at a 6/2 amp auto charger, a 100 a/h 12v battery , and a 400w inverter all hardwired to an outlet on the side of my trailer.
May not run my pellet pooper completely for the entire competition, but it should provide me with at least half a day should power become an issue.

i just bought this for short term emergency..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...00422353?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-RECD-_-707-_-CONF

but if u dont want to count on contest power, ive been using this for years.. and it works REAL WELL.

EU3000iS_225-2.jpg

yeah, im a wise ass.. :)

I have repeatedly run my lit FEC for 5-6 hours using a 400w inverter and a small 7.2aH UPS type battery.

I ran two FEC's so I had two batteries.

I highly recommend a combo inverter/charger. Inbetween contest it would lose charge. When I got to a contest, I would just plug into power and it would auto charge the batteries as needed.

I tested it routinely and just unplugged the power. It switches to battery so quick, the FE's never noticed and didn't lose any settings.

Here's the brand I use:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=818

Thats what I have:cool:, I used to think that was expensive, but one time at a contest, power went off.

I'm building a box for it, when I am done, I will post pics, just need a special hex driver to finish the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-600HD-Powerpack-Starter-Emergency/dp/B000TKHMWK

this is the one i was thinking of. it's not a jumpstart powerpack.

I have the Duracell, and a UPS. Eventually I ended up using an inverter and deep cycle battery.

The UPS is too sensitive for the questionable power we get at contests. Even in its least sensitive mode there are some generators it detects as unsuitable and switches to battery mode.

The Duracell is the best powerpack for starting a large truck or RV, but it is not meant for backup power. You have to use it only in battery mode, as the tiny power supply that comes with it will try to recharge what the FEC is drawing if you leave it plugged in, and eventually will damage the power supply or battery.

Use an inverter. Mine is over 1000 watts..the FEC does not challenge it, even on start up.

I was planning on buying something like this to run my Yoder 640, will this do the trick? If not what should I buy? Would like to be able to cook a contest without relying on contest power at all.

Amazon.com: Xantrex XPower Powerpack 400 Plus Portable Backup Power Source: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M8C4HKMXL.@@AMEPARAM@@41M8C4HKMXL

Here is a nice unit that doesn't cost very much that should take care of your power needs. I'm not sure how much power the Yoda consumes, however the FEC-100 needs 400 Watts during ingnition and then 5 watt continous use. This Inverter has 600 Watts of Continous use and can surge to 860 Watts. Here is the Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-6...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329653605&sr=1-2

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back