• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pork butt for 100 sandwiches question

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been elected to bbq some pork putts for my daughters school fund raiser :shocked: They want me to make enough for 100 sandwiches. How many pounds will I need of pork butt and what is a normal serving of size for meat for sandwich oz?

I was thinking 6 oz of meat per sammy. say 50 lbs of pork before cook. Does this sound right?

6 oz is a decent sandwich. 100 Sandwiches would be approx 37.5 lbs cooked weight. I may go with 70lbs uncooked. I usually figure 50% shrink.

Since those guys did the math, cook around 65 to 70 pounds, serve around 4 to 5 ounces. You are golden.

By my calcs you will need between 60-70 lbs before cooking. Why not 1/4 or 1/3lb?

I'll generally serve 4-4.5oz on a round bun. If using a hoagie roll, i'll bump it to six oz.

I own a wedding reception venue and find it's best to go with smaller portion sandwiches for guests. I think 4 to 4.5 oz is plenty. It's amazing how much is wasted when larger portions are offered.

Did a 45 head reception on two 11-13 lb shoulders. It was self serve and they piled it on, ... but after last call there were a few leftovers. I think a big factor in any meal is sides, what are they and how many do you have? Limit them and you have less waste. But don't go without either! (my downfall... I love alot of sides and appetizers and such)
---a balancing act ----
60 ish should be enough for the fund rasier

If it's a fundraiser and you are preparing the sandwiches then you decide the portion.
I use this formula:
#of servings divided buy #of servings per pound divided by .6 for 60percent yield. That tells me how much raw meat I need.

Last edited:
Well today is D-Day I got 70 lbs of fresh bone in pork butt rockin on two UDS one is it's it's first cook and doing awesome. Winds tonight all night 25 mph SOB.

Search the forum and there is a great exel spread sheet for helping you out. I have used it for every job and it has been right on the money. I agree with those that recommend 4-5 oz.

Ok I started with 69 lbs of bone in pork butt Fresh from Sysco. After a very long cook where it was 70 degree out when I start and 19 when I finished, I ended up with 32 lbs pulled and ready to eat. So looking at serving 5 oz sammies not a bad sized sammie. Thanks for the help everyone, I would have screwed this up with out the help. I would put up pics but for some reason i will not allow me to? Sorry! Its just a lot of pork.

Back