• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked deep fried turkey

D

ddog27

Ok guys. My wife’s family has asked me do one of those turkeys where it is smoked and then deep fried. I have never cooked a turkey that way. I am planning on doing a few practice sessions before thanksgiving. My question is how exactly do you do this? How long do you smoke the turkey? Does it need to go right from the smoker to the fryer? How long do you fry it for? Do you put rub on the turkey?

Any help and advice you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This interesting but I never heard of it. Sorry I will be watching though. :confused:

ddog27 said:
Ok guys. My wife’s family has asked me do one of those turkeys where it is smoked and then deep fried. I have never cooked a turkey that way. I am planning on doing a few practice sessions before thanksgiving. My question is how exactly do you do this? How long do you smoke the turkey? Does it need to go right from the smoker to the fryer? How long do you fry it for? Do you put rub on the turkey?

Any help and advice you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No rub--it will turn completly black when it hits the hot oil.
For frying a turkey from scratch-not smoked first- about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per pound for 12-14 pounders, have to use instant-read thermometer for sure.
There is a road map thread about frying turkeys on this forum.

Never smoked before frying, but I do inject the chit out of it. Tony C's cajun butter.

Kevin said:
Never smoked before frying, but I do inject the chit out of it. Tony C's cajun butter.
I either brine turkey before frying, or inject, sometimes both. I use a homemade butter injection.

Thank you sir. I do not know why my link did not work:redface:

I've smoked and fried chicken before, but not deep fried it. Can't see why it wouldn't work, though. 30 - 45 minutes in the chamber, then into the oil? Not enough time to dry out or anything.

You may be onto something there, Watson!!

qman said:
Thank you sir. I do not know why my link did not work:redface:

It looks like you copied the text from another message, and the forum software displays a shortened version of the link (shown by the ... in the link), so what you copied wouldn't work, while Brian copied that actual link (right click on the link and select copy shortcut).

You can see the difference by holding you cursor over your link and then holding your cursor over Brian's link and looking at the status bar at the bottom of your browser window.

Inject with Tony C's Creole Butter and dust with Tony C's. Like mentioned, smoke about 30 min, and deep fry. Slowly lower the bird into the pre measured oil. Don't know if the pre smoking will bring moisture out, if so pat with paper towels inside and out, and re-apply Tony C's.

Will try legs and thighs when the time comes. No more whole birds for me. Darn peanut oil cost too much, and why dry out the breast trying to finish the dark meat. I cook the breast seperate.

Ty

For some reason I now have a craving for some turkey. I sense a store run in the very near future.

icemn62 said:
For some reason I now have a craving for some turkey. I sense a store run in the very near future.

Try to find some drummettes. Smaller than the massive legs I've been finding. Make one hell of a smoked hot wing.
Ty

Thanks Ron. Got it. That is what I did.:rolleyes:

Try injecting some strained Italian dressing instead of the store bought marinade. You might be suprised. If you make the dressing a couple of days before, add fresh garlic and refridgerate before you strain. Also, try to allow the turkey to sit for at least 12 hours in the ice box if possible.

I've never smoked a turkey and then deep fried it before.....sounds interesting though. I've always done one way or the other but my prep is the same for both ways. I inject it with a creole butter injection and then rub it down between the skin and the meat. Always comes out good either way but there's nothing better than that first slice off a deep fried bird.

nmayeux said:
Try injecting some strained Italian dressing instead of the store bought marinade. You might be suprised.

I definately agree with this. I've used both the regular Italian and the Red Wine Vinagraitte made by Wishbone. Both work excellent!

Back