• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Roast Appreciation Thread

photo-18.jpg

photo-19.jpg

:hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

I stopped by Costco today and they had some really nice rib roasts. I'm going back tomorrow or Monday to pick one up. I'm planning on cooking it like a brisket, details to follow.

Maybe you should have thought of that before you ponied up for the So Cal Bash travel expenses... :caked:

Mongo :becky:

I guess I just value spending time in the company of wonderful people more than selfishly indulging in luxuries for my own pleasure, like you apparently do. :caked:

CD :becky:

Question: for helping to keep the meat fresh, does it help to season it early or should I leave it alone and just wait until x-mas morning to season?

OK....Picked up a 10# plus and will be first time on grill/smoker....Going with S&P, oil rub(anything better?).....Hickory or cherry???....Est time at 230/250?...only a high of mid 20s and windy Tuesday, so...Gotta finish to about med well for wife though...Is there a way for med/rare for part, besides cutting(duh, like a dumb question, I assume)....Will post pron....

I stopped by Costco today and they had some really nice rib roasts. I'm going back tomorrow or Monday to pick one up. I'm planning on cooking it like a brisket, details to follow.

We picked one up just a little while ago. A nice three boner.

Should we trim the bones off and tie them back on when we smoke? Never cooked one of these before.

We picked one up just a little while ago. A nice three boner.

Should we trim the bones off and tie them back on when we smoke? Never cooked one of these before.

I leave the bones on, but I would imagine some cut the bones off cause you can get more crust at the cut where the bones were, if you remove em completely before the cook...

What a great thread with impeccable timing. My dad said he wanted a standing rib roast for our family dinner on the 24th. I told him we could try it in the smoker. I have to work and dad has never used a smoker (though he is really good on a Weber kettle grill). Haven't figured out how we'll do this, but I figure I'll come home at lunch and help get the pit started, then let him put the meat in and control it from there.

We will buy the roast tomorrow, so I'll plan the cook based on the size that we pick out.

A couple questions:

1. Everything I've read in here looks like folks are cooking to a temperature. Is there not a "probe tender" equivalent for one of these or am I just shooting for somewhere around 120* IT for a medium-rare piece of meat?

2. It is looking like it takes roughly 30 minutes per pound at 250*. Sound about right? We'll leave ourselves a window, but that helps plan the cook.

I have found, serendipitously( by farking luck), that holding a standing rib roast really makes it a lot better. Our guests were late and we ended up eating about 3 hours after I pulled the meat. It was awesome. I let it cool a bit then wrapped it in foil and threw in the Cambro wrapped in a towel. Best one ever...

Great job, Gore!

As noted, I don't sear any more, and I've switched to cooking at lower temps. I've tried just about every method possible and have gotten good results from all of them, but I like the even temperature across the roast that the lower temp cook gives and I get enough color/crust on the outside without the work of the reverse sear.

One thing that hasn't been discussed yet is the prime rib method developed by Stuart, the president of Cookshack. He originally developed it using the Cookshack electric smokers but it works even better in an FEC-100. Basically he cooks the rib roast at 250 for 12 minutes per pound and then drops the pit temp to 140 and hold the roast at 140 pit temp for at least 4 hours, preferably longer. The real key to this method is the extended hold time. I've found that it gives the juices time to distribute flavor throughout the roast and gives a great result. I've modified this to cook at 225 instead of 250 and go longer per pound, but still use the extended hold.

What a great thread with impeccable timing. My dad said he wanted a standing rib roast for our family dinner on the 24th. I told him we could try it in the smoker. I have to work and dad has never used a smoker (though he is really good on a Weber kettle grill). Haven't figured out how we'll do this, but I figure I'll come home at lunch and help get the pit started, then let him put the meat in and control it from there.

We will buy the roast tomorrow, so I'll plan the cook based on the size that we pick out.

A couple questions:

1. Everything I've read in here looks like folks are cooking to a temperature. Is there not a "probe tender" equivalent for one of these or am I just shooting for somewhere around 120* IT for a medium-rare piece of meat?

2. It is looking like it takes roughly 30 minutes per pound at 250*. Sound about right? We'll leave ourselves a window, but that helps plan the cook.

Well gee you are in luck! I do all of my cooking in a kettle. As long as he keeps the charcoal off to one side for indirect and can maintain temps where they need to be he can do it.
1. Yes, you absolutely have to cook to temps, or you end up overshooting or undercooking.
2. Cooking at 225 is better than 250 so you have a little more forgiveness when you sear to keep from really overcooking the first 1/2" of thickness around the whole roast. With a 3lb roast, I pretty much start firing the coals at 12PM, and by the time its all said and done we eat at 5pm. You have to include the time it takes to ramp the kettle up to nuclear after you finish the 225° portion of the cook, and also the 30 min rest after.

Cut and paste from my post in PG2...
Well... Its been too long so I can't edit my post...

I cooked mine reverse sear style for a medium rare finish. That roast was small, only 3lb. Fired the kettle up to 225 with one chunk of hickory. Rubbed the roast with only S&P. Cooked to an IT of 115 (EXACTLY 115, knowing your meat temp is important...), removed, foiled temporarily while I filled both baskets with blue, and get the kettle as hot as it will go, took maybe 20 min. Roast back on kettle for maybe 10 minutes for a nice sear. Remove, foil and rest in preheated cooler for 30 min. Slice.

If you thought that the meat in my pic was too rare, it was closer to medium. My phone really amplifies red colors in pics.

Last edited:
Question: for helping to keep the meat fresh, does it help to season it early or should I leave it alone and just wait until x-mas morning to season?
I didn't see an answer by anyone smarter than me so I'll throw in my non-authoritative opinion.

I've done one and seasoned with S&P and some fresh ground coriander. The pepper should be fresh cracked or course ground as well. IMO you do not need a lot of seasoning for something like this. You are paying a lot for a good piece of meat to start with so you want to let the flavor shine through. Likewise I go easy with smoking wood, choosing some oak which tends to be subtle and a little mesquite.

I season before I head out to prep my cooker so the seasoning is on for about an hour before the meat toes on the cooker. Maybe it will be on a little longer if I bring the roast out of refrigeration a little early to let it come to room temperature.

Take this as one man's opinion.

Here is progress on mine so far. It has been dry aging since Wednesday evening.

DSC_8433-PP.JPG

Well gee you are in luck! I do all of my cooking in a kettle. As long as he keeps the charcoal off to one side for indirect and can maintain temps where they need to be he can do it.

Oh, he'll be cooking it in my restored/modified Bandera, not my Weber. I have a pork shoulder that I'd like to throw on in the morning, so we need to real-estate. That preface was just to say that he is at least comfortable with a grill and adjusting intakes/exhausts to maintain temps. Just needs to translate that over to the Bandera (which will be a short learning curve for him).

I'm excited to give this a go, but hate that I won't be around for most of the cook. The meat in this thread looks absolutely delicious. I'm just hoping to get somewhere in the ballpark of the examples in here.

:thumb::clap2:

The Acme around me had choice bone in rib roast for 6.99 a pound Wish my family liked it They really looked good

So I was Tailgating at The USC vs FUCLA game and one of the guys I was tailgating with had gotten this from somewhere and asked if i could cook it well i said Heck yeah I wish i remembered to take pictures of the end result it was bomb I put it on my 22.5 weber grill un believable I still think about this LOL!!!

Attachments

• ribeye.jpg
    ribeye.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 388
I have a 22.5lb monster that is begging to be smoked. It will be going on in about 3 hours.

Back