Hot Italian Sausage: Crazy Good Recipe

How does compare to store bought, flavor wise? Similar but better or totally different ?

How does compare to store bought, flavor wise? Similar but better or totally different ?

Iffin it's totally different is it Italian Sausage? American Italian sausage is a specific flavor profile. Of which I don't think I have ever tasted in Italy, but that's besides the point. Well, maybe American Italian Sausage can taste a specific way, but try Italian sausage is very specific. Now I sound like Biggy. :tsk:

Much better, like nothing I've ever eaten before.. I ate one meatball the other day and couldn't quit eating them.. taste divine.

Iffin it's totally different is it Italian Sausage? American Italian sausage is a specific flavor profile. Of which I don't think I have ever tasted in Italy, but that's besides the point. Well, maybe American Italian Sausage can taste a specific way, but try Italian sausage is very specific. Now I sound like Biggy. :tsk:

I don't know.. it was a recipe from an old retired guy that used to run a very popular Italian restaurant. It's probably American Italian like all the food here , it's Americanized some what.

Nothing wrong with having both sweet and hot sausage in the same bite.The flavor profiles start out sweet from wild fennel seeds and then bring you into that so loved burn that red pepper flakes give you.Best of both worlds.Add a bit of Garden Sage and or Maple syrup and BAM more flavor.Throw some Turkey into the mix for health reasons even better.Keep all proteins ice cold for grinding.Good stuff yet I say this as I can`t eat much of this anymore so I will live vicariously through your cooks.

I cooked up another batch of this, and I'm totally satisfied with the salinity level I mentioned in this recipe. It tastes perfect to me. No more salty than meatballs or sausage you get from Walmart.

I find a lot of recipes online for sausages aren't salty enough to be equivalent to most store bought. But I never have had high blood pressure, so it's not a problem for me.

If you use injected pork butt instead of all natural (such as IBP), you might need to cut back on the salt. Because the injection water evaporates, and that concentrates the salt--because there is less actual pork. (Also there might be some salt in the injection?)

This is about the recipe I use as well. I typically make up about five pounds worth and then just wrap it all up in some saran wrap and butcher's paper.
I've been throwing the seasoning into some homemade pork stock to make sure it is better incorporated throughout the sausage. Thanks again for that tip, gtr.

Okay I'll do this as soon as I get some free time. Gonna be busy getting this 18.5" WSM up and running, seasoned etc..

Ok finally got some time to get this together! :) I just made a jar of this and seasoned a couple pounds of freshly ground IBP pork butt with it today. (Hardly made a dent in the mason jar--hehe.) Fried up 1/2 pound in little meatballs. Tastes perfect! By having this jar of seasoning already made up, it made VERY quick work of making the Hot Italian Sausage--literally like 1 minute.

Hot Italian Sausage Seasoning for up to 30 pounds of pork butt
(Note: see OP for the same recipe, but measured in teaspoons for smaller amount, if you want to try this out first. By the way if you don't have a digital scale with 1 gram accuracy, what's stopping you? They are only $12-15 on Amazon.com! They are such a useful time saving tool.)

Okay, here's the recipe for the Hot Italian Sausage Seasoning for up to 30 pounds of pork butt–fits in a single 1 quart sized mason jar:

200 grams [7.05 oz] salt (any dry salt–e.g. kosher, table salt & pickling salt)
23 grams [.81 oz] garlic powder
9 grams [.32 oz] black peppercorns
94 grams [3.32 oz] paprika
90 grams [3.17 oz] fennel seed
38 grams [1.34 oz] crushed red pepper
48 grams [1.69 oz] of star anise

(Grind what needs to be ground, combine in mixing bowl with whisk, then place in mason jar. Shake before each use.)

[Technical Note: 502 grams of seasoning, which serves 13620 grams (30 pounds) of pork butt. 502/13620 = 3.7%.]

So to use this seasoning: just weigh whatever amount of pork to be seasoned and times that value by 3.7% (.037), to get the weight of the seasoning to add.

And as mentioned in the first post in this thread:

“.. multiply the weight of the ground pork by 2.4% to get the number of grams of olive oil to add.”

Note: this recipe is for non-enhanced, non-injected pork butt, such as IBP. (Adjust accordingly.)

Where I purchase the spices affordably:
Just say "NO" to McCormick!

Aldi ($1 for the following) : paprika, garlic powder, crushed red pepper
Local Asian market (large bags of these are cheap) : fennel seed, star anise
Sam's Club: large container of Tone's black peppercorns
Walmart: Morton Kosher Salt

Last edited:
Back