Just a quick smoker question....

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I’m vacillating, between an entry level pellet grill, like the little Pitt Boss, and a WSM 22.5.

I’m a dedicated Weber kettle user, so my first inclination is with the WSM.

On the other hand, I have a couple buddies with pellet poppers who tell me they’re great, especially for longer cooks and temp control. Of course they also say the quality and flavor of their Q is great, but that’s subjective.

My quick question is.... What day ye learned gentlemen?

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Insulated Cabinet Smoker - Plenty to Choose from - several made in Ga.

What are your goals and tastes? There is a pretty big difference between your two options, and neither is right or wrong or better or worse.

I'm a big fan of Weber products although I've never owned a WSM. A friend at work recently bought a REC TEC pellet smoker and he likes it but he uses an Amazin tube with it. He says it just isn't giving him the smoke flavor he wants but he also doesn't want to tend a fire. I would venture to say the WSM will give you more authentic Q taste but it's a bit more work. Again I've never owned one but have heard plenty of excellent reviews on them.

I’m vacillating, between an entry level pellet grill, like the little Pitt Boss, and a WSM 22.5.

I’m a dedicated Weber kettle user, so my first inclination is with the WSM.

On the other hand, I have a couple buddies with pellet poppers who tell me they’re great, especially for longer cooks and temp control. Of course they also say the quality and flavor of their Q is great, but that’s subjective.

My quick question is.... What day ye learned gentlemen?

VR,
Harold

The WSM is going to give you pretty much the same flavor as your kettle, operates pretty much the same too. Basically just more room. Personally, I would go witha PBC or a Hunsaker before I went with a WSM, I am sure others will disagree. As far as pellet goes, don't know much about the entry level models, but you rarely see an unhappy pellet grill owner. I am sure I will never be without one. My suggestion would be, if you have a buddy with a grill, similar to what you are looking at, tell him you will buy the meat, and beer, if you can be pitmaster for the day. Try it out, and see what you think.

I love "quick smoker questions"- they usually turn out to be anything but. :grin:

I don't believe there is a wrong answer. The pellet cooker is "set it and forget it ".The WSM - since it does not come factory equipped with with a dial and a read out- will require some fiddling and learning but can be just as hands off.

The pellet cooker having electronics, augers, blowers, hot rod etc may or may not be a deciding factory.

The WSM having NO electronics in this 21st century may seem a bit low tech to some. /shrug.

It's not quite a "coin flip".

I don’t like my pellet grill. It’s easy to use but the smoke flavor isn’t noticeable to me. It is really hard to mess up a cook on a pellet popper though.

My goals are to have a smoker I don’t have to fret over for 10 or 12 hours, but will turn out quality Q. When needed maybe once a month, or I’d like to be able to do an overnight or all day cook, without constant monitoring. May be a pipe-dream I know.

I don’t do long cooks often, usually 4-6 hours is as long as I can go on the kettle. Keeping the temps down for long cooks without constant monitoring is nearly impossible.

But now I’m a little confused. I assumed that “over smoking” would be the issue with all wood pellets, not under smoking.

BTE... thanks for all the quick replies.

VR,
Harold

Last edited:
I second the insulated cabinet smoker. Add your choice of auto fan ( guru, flame boss, etc).
almosy set and forget it. Smoked on Weber kettle for years. Don’t have time to tend to it. Got a smiley hollow gasser from my father in law and have never been happy with the smoke I get.
Got a Ironside smoker on its way this Friday.
Have my flame boss set up and ready.
My hopes is that I get to use the freezer full of beef like I intended for it be used now.
Like so many I don’t have a minute to spare in a business week and wanted something tha would put out quality food without baby sitting a smoker.

My goals are to have a smoker I don’t have to fret over for 10 or 12 hours, but will turn out quality Q. When needed maybe once a month, or I’d like to be able to do an overnight or all day cook, without constant monitoring. May be a pipe-dream I know.

I don’t do long cooks often, usually 4-6 hours is as long as I can go on the kettle. Keeping the temps down for long cooks without constant monitoring is nearly impossible.

But now I’m a little confused. I assumed that “over smoking” would be the issue with all wood pellets, not under smoking.

BTE... thanks for all the quick replies.

VR,
Harold

Pellets burn so clean, it is very hard to over smoke. Have you considered a slow n sear for your kettle? Haven't used one, but for $129 you are suppose to be able to get 8 hrs on a single basket of charcoal.

I love my UDS for doing exactly what you want, plus you get more smoke flavor than a pellet. I use a cyberQ to maintain my temps and almost always start my smokes at night for butts and briskets. I would rather start my cooks at night, have them get done in the early afternoon and then hold them in a cooler with my food warming pillows than wake up real early in the morning for the food to be done around dinner time and the UDS is perfect for that.

Pellet stoves burn lean with excess air and they control the temp by controlling fuel supply. That means they tend to burn clean, sometimes too clean for some tastes, and the resulting flavor is different and mellower than charcoal.

Most charcoal smokers burn/smolder rich. You put it a ton of fuel and then control the temperature by restricting air. Charcoal smokers, wsm, drum, insulated cab, whatever tend to have a different flavor and a stronger flavor. For some the flavor is a bit harsh and less pleasant, for many it is the flavor they are used to and what they are after. If you are cooking on a Weber now, you know the charcoal flavor profile.

A charcoal smoker with good air control can be fairly set and forget for many hours once you know how to set them up. You can also add a digital controller that will precisely control the temp (better than your home oven) and also provide various levels of monitoring. The pellet grill (usually) comes with the digital controller. Either option should allow you to do medium to long cooks with minimal intervention and monitoring.

So, I would suggest trying out a pellet smoker to see if you prefer the flavor they produce. That should be the deciding factor.

I had only smoked on a stick burner for years before I recently purchased my WSM. As you may know burning sticks is somewhat labor intensive tending the fire every hour or so. I did my first cook on my newly acquired WSM and was amazed at the ease of use. Once you get it set at the temp you want it will run at that temp until it runs out of fuel or you are done. As well as being very efficient. I filled the basket about 2/3rds and had half of that left after a 5 hr cook. It does take a minute to learn how it runs but if you’re already familiar Weber kettles you will have no problem picking it up quick. I’ve never owned a pellet smoker but have had food off of them and the flavor profile is totally different. Not as a pronounced smoke flavor. Some prefer that but I like a heavier smoke than a pellet smoker can produce. My vote is WSM or the like. UDS Hunsaker drum etc.

My vote would go to the WSM. Loads of capacity, 6 butts or 4 briskets, and just as easy as falling off a log. As mentioned before, once it is dialed in, it will stay that way for hours and hours. You can spend an extra $50 and get a Gateway rib hanging kit and you have a very versatile tool for $450. No electricity required!

I have a WSM, my buddy has a pellet pooper. I thought about buying a cheap one when Walmart had them on sale, but wouldn't trade my WSM. AS LloydQ said, once it's dialed in, it's pretty much autopilot. I've done plenty of overnights with it, and it will keep smoking when the electricity goes out.

It seem to me your more interested in Eating BBQ that learning about making BBQ. If that is the case get a pellet smoker No Muss no Fuss Set it and forget.

It seem to me your more interested in Eating BBQ that learning about making BBQ. If that is the case get a pellet smoker No Muss no Fuss Set it and forget.

Actually I’ve been BBQing for years. All the standard steaks, burgers, wings, etc. Have done good short (4-8 hour) smokes on the kettle lots of times.
I’ve done ribs and butts, chicken, tenders loins, etc. Even a couple good sized prime rib roasts.

Looking to get into some longer cooks, but checking out options.

VR,
Harold

My WSM is what I learned to BBQ on. Think kettle with a longer burn, what I thought was more stable temps (YMMV), very efficient, and more space (two 22" grates). For day time cooks, it was set it up, fire it up, 20 - 30 mins to get stable, meat on, forget about it. For longer or overnight cooks, I bought a Pitmaster IQ-120. Between that and a Maverick, I was able to get some sleep, check on it every 2 or 3 hours. Ran it over 20 hours without needing to reload. Briskets, then ribs, then fatty's and chicken.

Worth every penny...

Link to mods I did to mine in my signature. None required, just made it more stable to my liking.

Back