Smoked Watermelon???

i don't look at this as something that should draw the "dumb" and "hipster, vegan" comments. to me it looks like something interesting that can be done with a smoker and used like a side dish kind of like smoked cabbage or grilled pineapples or peaches. it is savory and sweet, how bad could it be? you have a watermelon! you have a smoker... it might be good!

I might agree with you if they weren't charging $75.

At $75, it's all about dumb, hipster, vegans.

$75 ??? Other than some hipster vegan, no doubt gluten intolerant, who would pay that.

And, why would you do that to a perfectly good watermelon?

Aside: Vegans would be a lot less annoying if they would just embrace the vegetable and abandon the poser meat substitutes. If you want bacon, have some bacon, just put away the damn soy crap.

:thumb:

Forgetting the whole price/vegan/hipster thing...I want to try this, and actually hope to do it this weekend. I'll be doing it myself tho...not paying $75 for one. I'll report back with results if I actually do it!

To me, it's just another weird thing foodies do. $75.00? Look at what some pay for brisket or steak.
Seems like some of you need some fussing to get your blood pressure up in the morning.:p

While that seems like an interesting idea, there is just something wrong about how those slices move on the fork when they are held up in the video.

I mean, I like rare steak...but that ain't no steak...

While that seems like an interesting idea, there is just something wrong about how those slices move on the fork when they are held up in the video.

I mean, I like rare steak...but that ain't no steak...

Perhaps, to a vegan, it's STEAK.

To each, their own................I'm passing on this.

I saw that.The dude that came up with it is savvy.Thinking " out of the box".Does not sound like my thing but he will probably make $$$ on it.Good for him.:thumb:

Just a word about vegans and vegetarians - very often they don't eat meat because of moral or ideological reasons, not because they don't like the taste!

I have eaten some Asian seasoned meat substitutes that were extraordinarily similar to cooked pork and beef, it was almost scary how close they got, and using only good ingredients.

There is actually a Buddhist monastery I read about who, unlike most who make excellent vegetarian food that looks and tastes like vegetables, perfected the art of making some dishes look and taste like meat, going back centuries. I thought that was fascinating in itself.

But personally if I want meat I eat meat!

I find watermelon absolutely disgusting.....having it like that would be the only chance I would try it ever again.

Why do vegans who don't eat meat make their food to look like meat??? I don't try to make a prime rib look like broccoli.

This... from now I'm on going to concentrate my time on making all the meats I smoke appear as if they're actually smoked broccoli because that should be a thing.

I'll make a mold to press the meat in and get some coloring to baste the meat in so it takes on that sickish looking green color.

Then I'm going to invite all my vegan friends over and serve it to them as a Vegetable alternative. As the shock and horror of the realization they've been fed delicious smoked meats cleverly disguised as disgusting vegetables washes over them I'll grab the table cloth and yank and yell "Taa Daa!"

Now... I just have to find some vegan friends...

Back