Orchard wood question

bassbuster33

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up so apple wood whose origin is unknown but it is most likely orchard wood.

Good for smoking or do I seriously run the risk of serving up a side of carcinogens with my 'Que?

Any precautions to take, removing the bark or just simply scrubbing down the bark?

I couldn't find much on the 'net after a cursory search.

None of the above....that wood will make some great Q.
The chemicals used don't soak into the wood, otherwise we couldn't eat the apples. :biggrin:

I know that I am leery of wood that might have been sprayed with pesticides or trees that have received systemic block injections. This is a pesticide that is injected right in to the living tree to kill borers and other bugs that live under the bark and in the wood. I usually cruise Craigslist for dead fruit trees in my area that people want removed. If the tree is dead or dieing, there is a good chance that it has not been subject to pesticides in the last few years.

If the tree is dead or dieing, there is a good chance that it has not been subject to pesticides in the last few years.

Or was poisoned! :cool:

In Texas, this can be a reality with mesquite trees. Like damn weeds around here.

There are a fair amount of dead pecan trees in the area, so if I am reading this right then they are suitable even if they died while still in the ground. I always assumed it needed to be cut down fresh and then seasoned.

Not to be an alarmist, but beware of wood from an orchard used for scientific studies. In an orange grove leased by UC Davis (California) outside of Visalia, I inquired about purchasing a small potion of the several acres of cut trees for cooking fuel. The mid-level management guy's reply made me glad I didn't help myself to a few branches. Specifics were not discussed.

I did eat some oranges from neighboring orchards that were darn tasty and suffered no ill effects.

BTW I don't hug trees!

Although chances are you have little to worry about, it's kind of touch to say "go ahead and use it." I'd be a little leery of wood from an unknown source.

Okay guys. All of us will probably die of congestive heart failure because of our hobby, so what's a little cancer thrown in?

There are a wide array of chemicals that could be used on trees. One of the keys would be to know which chemicals and to understand the persistence that the chemical would have. There are some chemicals, primarily those used on food crops that have short persistence in the environment. I would never get wood from a research plot, as there are often a lack of safeguards on the chemicals used that would normally be used in agriculture. Personally, I think we often take a gamble when we get fruit or nut wood for fuel, do we really know where it came from?

I just picked up some apple wood chips from a "Pick your own" orchard up here (99 cents a bag at Emma Krumbees for those in Minnesota). And I do mean chips. No sizeable chunks to be found, but the price was definitely right

I figure if it's safe for families to roam the ground and pick apples, there won't be enything hazardous in or on the trees.

Now to decide what to do with it. Not too many outdoor weekends left up here...

wow never heard of using orange wood.......but u would think that would taste great

Back