Purchasing a competition grill

D

Drew_71646

I am brand new to competition cooking. I am been currently using a offset stick custom trailer smoker at a few local competitions. I have a Traeger Texas at home and fell in love with pellet smokers. I do not like having to babysit a pit all night! I have been doing research on pellet smokers already mounted on trailers. I have been looking at the Traeger Com190 and the GMG Big Pig. Can anyone offer any pros/cons or experiences with these 2 smokers? I am open to any other suggestions on other pellet smoker brands. I do not want one that I have to mount on a trailer myself. I am mechanically challenged!

I'm sure Yoder would mount a YS1500 on a trailer. Yes it would cost more than the comp cart model, but it could be done I bet. I'm thrilled with mine and I can't wait to take it to comps.

I hope this isn't innappropriate, but I have a custom stick and pellet fired smoker mounted to a trailer that is for sale. I have used it in several comps, and there is no baby-sitting involved. If you are interested in discussing it, PM me. It is listed in the Brethren Ventures section here.

dmp

I've got a dual burner Woodmaster. Works well, cooks hot, doesn't eat mass quantities of pellets! It's very particular about power though. I've cooked a couple of contests with it and gotten calls.

I have owned a few cookers and regardless of brand, fuel source, type, I would consider insulation. Granted I live in Kansas and the winters are a little worse than AR, but in my experience, you can use up to 75% less fuel in a well insulated cooker than a similar non-insulated cooker.

Eric

I've got a dual burner Woodmaster. Works well, cooks hot, doesn't eat mass quantities of pellets! It's very particular about power though. I've cooked a couple of contests with it and gotten calls.

The woodmaster website says no dealers found in our area. What is a price on their mini hog? Is this the model you have?

Back