Thinking Peach & Pecan

Gr8adventure

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
What do you all think. I am about to purchase some wood for my UDS since I've read that its easy to over smoke with hickory, but that its good all nearly all meat and that pecan has a lighter hickory like taste I've been thinking that pecan would be a good alternative to hickory.

Then since peach is such a popular smoking wood especially with Myron Mixon who I believe uses it on everything, I've been thinking that cooking in my UDS with a Peach and Hickory combo would be pretty awesome.

What do you all think?

Go for it. But, I think hickory gets a bad rap from people who have no idea how to use it. Did you know that Tuffy Stone uses hickory exclusively for his compterition BBQ and does very well with it? And then there is the fact that Myron Mixon uses hickory flavoring in his rubs.

I use peach quite a bit as I have them in my orchard, nice mild flavor.

Hickory is my go to. I love that stuff, probably due to being raised in East TN. I've never tried peach, I'm sure it's great, but pecan is fanfarkingtastic for sure.

I use Pecan nearly exclusively. I would like to use Peach in the mix it is just hard for me to get where I live.

Moron err Myron uses peach because he is from the "Peach State". Of course there is a lot of wild pecan here also. :loco:

Hickory is my go to. I love that stuff, probably due to being raised in East TN. I've never tried peach, I'm sure it's great, but pecan is fanfarkingtastic for sure.

Fruitwoods are great. They're much milder than hickory or other harder woods, and require a sophisticated palet to really appreciate them.

I've got quite a good variety in my garage: peach, apricot, cherry, apple, grape, pecan (technically not a fruitwood, but mild and nice, nonetheless).

Just stopped and ordered: almond, pear, and more apricot.

Got the 15lb boxes from:

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/

They have great quality, and get the order right out.

Got a ton of hickory, oak, and maples. Even have a couple bags of mesquite.

Since I started using fruit woods, I quit using these other woods. I expect that I will use them, after a time. Just enjoy the subtle sweetness and flavor the fruitwoods provide.

Yea, as someone said peach is local to Myron. Also, he's gets it with sap still on it which, I'm told, makes it better. The peach I've had has been unremarkable- just a lighter smoke, but no distinctive flavor like apple, cherry, pecan, etc.

Pecan is great but not strong enough for beef IMO. (unless you cook for a long time).

Yea, as someone said peach is local to Myron. Also, he's gets it with sap still on it which, I'm told, makes it better. The peach I've had has been unremarkable- just a lighter smoke, but no distinctive flavor like apple, cherry, pecan, etc.

Pecan is great but not strong enough for beef IMO. (unless you cook for a long time).

I like grape with my beef.

Back