My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

I've never cooked on a old, American made Traeger, so I can't comment on them, but I can say Yoder nailed the design on this puppy. Super even heat, great smoke flavor, great food texture and no overcooking/hardening the bottom of food. It's great.

Yoder sent me the update to the controller software (version b20) a few weeks ago. I've only used it on sub 10* days and windy, so I can't comment on it yet. But I have two whole packers in the fridge going on tonight and a 60*+ two days ahead, so I will be cooking. :thumb:

Impressive! That thing is a beast! :)

I love pellet smokers.. sometimes you just don't have enough time to fool around with the fire. :hug Davy Crockett:
masa-slider-buns

I can't believe you've had this unit since August and I'm just now seeing your post. Not sure where my head has been. :doh: :redface:
Great looking smoker Husker! Looks well built and the size is really nice! Thanks for posting pics, I'll pay more attention in the future. :)

I can't believe you've had this unit since August and I'm just now seeing your post. Not sure where my head has been. :doh: :redface:
Great looking smoker Husker! Looks well built and the size is really nice! Thanks for posting pics, I'll pay more attention in the future. :)

Geez, I'm not sure where you were either. This thread got bumped by members almost every day in September. :laugh:

It's been an awesome cooker and responsible for most all of my great food pics.

Geez, I'm not sure where you were either. This thread got bumped by members almost every day in September. :laugh:

It's been an awesome cooker and responsible for most all of my great food pics.

:laugh::laugh: I must have had a blonde moment that lasted 6 months!

I enjoy your awesome food pron Husker. Didn't think about what you were cooking on. :doh: Promise I will get my head out of the clouds (or where ever it's been) and watch more closely. :-D

:laugh::laugh: I must have had a blonde moment that lasted 6 months!

I enjoy your awesome food pron Husker. Didn't think about what you were cooking on. :doh: Promise I will get my head out of the clouds (or where ever it's been) and watch more closely. :-D

You are forgiven. It's been a long, cold winter. :wink:

Do you think there is any room in the 1500 to add a third shelf? Say to cook another layer of Tri-tip or Brisket if needed.

Do you think there is any room in the 1500 to add a third shelf? Say to cook another layer of Tri-tip or Brisket if needed.

No. By the time you got it high enough to clear the second shelf there wouldn't be any room for food and it would only be a few inches wide. If you moved the second shelf down, then maybe, but that would be a question for Yoder.

I've never cooked on a old, American made Traeger, so I can't comment on them, but I can say Yoder nailed the design on this puppy. Super even heat, great smoke flavor, great food texture and no overcooking/hardening the bottom of food. It's great.

Yoder sent me the update to the controller software (version b20) a few weeks ago. I've only used it on sub 10* days and windy, so I can't comment on it yet. But I have two whole packers in the fridge going on tonight and a 60*+ two days ahead, so I will be cooking. :thumb:

I'm pretty close to grabbing a second FEC120 as I get more into comps this year, but your thread sure has me thinking long and hard about one of these ys1500's. I'd really be looking to do briskets on it.

I'm pretty close to grabbing a second FEC120 as I get more into comps this year, but your thread sure has me thinking long and hard about one of these ys1500's. I'd really be looking to do briskets on it.

I've never used any of the FEC cookers, so I can't make any comparison. I wish I did have some experience with them because you are not the first FEC owner to show interest in the YS1500 that I have chatted with.

Oldoily, you'll be happy if you do.

I'll use this opportunity to update. Yoder sent me an update to the controller software a few weeks back and I updated to the most current version. In the prior version there was usually a decent deviation (appx 20* at low temps, and up to 70* at high temps) between where the controller set point was and the actual grate temp. The grate temp was always lower than what the controller was set to. I used an ET-732 to take these measurements. So not high end equipment, but still plenty reliable. It was the only thing that bugged me about the pit, but with a Maverick I could achieve the temp I wanted and the controller would keep that temp.

The new software was created to fix this deviation. Now, the set point, the controller display and the actual grate temp are all usually within 5 degrees of each other, and usually never more than 10 degrees off at any temp, low or high. Often, all three are the same number or within 2 degrees.

Yoder has got this cooker nailed now. The deviation was the only gripe I had about it, and now that's gone. This is one helluva pit.

Last edited:
Back