Salt & Pepper brisket bs

I too used to do all kinds of fancy stuff to my brisket. Because of Aaron I started doing only S and P. Best briskets I've ever done although I agree it does get boring. I do a fairly heavy rub and it turns out great-not too salty at all.

I think some people have gotten too enamored with what "real" or "great" bbq is. At the end of the day, if you put 47 different ingredients on it, and it tastes great to you, it's a great rub, slather, marinade, etc.

As for salt and pepper, some would find it much too bland, some would find it too salty, and some would say it's not salty enough. There is no such thing as "real" bbq, because beauty is in the taste buds of the beholder. UNless you are boiling ribs, in which case of course that's the best, DUH!

I totally agree. It's like some areas of the country saying that it's a sin to put ketchup on a hotdog! Well I hate mustard but that hotdog taste darn good with some ketchup

Brisketry : Gonna play in Texas you gotta have S&P in tha band..

The funky dirty dalmatian from PitmasterT is my only rub and the one problem I have when I cook brisket's is theirs never enough. Weight measurements is key along with a some what low salt lemon pepper, everything you need to know to produce pedestal worthy meats is all here on the brethren. When older pitmasters say you go on feel not temp or probes like butter know that these folks aren't just blowing smoke...

Equal parts of salt, pepper, lemon pepper..
20130806_131450.jpg

20130806_131518.jpg

Texas Test Kitchen's are done,I'm about to grab this bull by the horns..
Sliced+brisket.jpg

Amen!

I'll play with di deferent ingredients for rubs. But the last few briskest I made were straight up S&P and smoke.

Great thread here. Which wood do most of you prefer for brisket?

you're going to get about 10 different responses here.... not sure how it will help.

but for what it's worth I think oak is fantastic on brisket (texas post oak is first choice, followed by any general white oak, then red oak).. and if I had second and third choices it would be pecan and cherry.

Best way is to experiment for yourself and determine what you like best...

Good Luck !

Yeah, I figured there would be many opinions. I have a little cherry, pecan, and tons of apple. I do have a bag of the Jack Daniels oak as well. I love the apple on ribs and butts, but not sure how it would do with beef.

The funky dirty dalmatian from PitmasterT is my only rub and the one problem I have when I cook brisket's is theirs never enough.

Equal parts of salt, pepper, lemon pepper..
20130806_131450.jpg

20130806_131518.jpg

Texas Test Kitchen's are done,I'm about to grab this bull by the horns..
Sliced+brisket.jpg

3 Funky. Sho nuff

It won't be a waste. I've done it before. While I agree that they say they don't use anything else is probably bs, a good cut, properly cooked with just Salt and Pepper will always be delicious. Probably not the best ever, but if you're curious, I guarantee you will eat it with plenty of deliciousness.

Personally though, I often forgo my more complicated rubs on brisket and just roll with:
Coarse Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder

Simple enough, with enough flavor to really make it special.

My base flavor for brisket is Montreal seasoning. If beef is a good cut and cooked right you shouldn't need a whole lot of seasoning.

He was actually nice enough to come back and answer a guy in the questions..

"Try 8 parts coarse ground pepper, 3 parts Lawry's, 3 parts kosher salt, and one part granulated garlic. Rub it down with a half and half mixture of hot dog mustard and pickle juice first before sprinkling the rub on. if it's not working for you, come down to la barbecue and i'll walk you through it. A lot of it has to do with the cooker you are using and the times and temp. I'll walk you through it"

I hope it's ok to bump this old thread. I stumbled on this post after a google search on John Lewis and La Barbecue. I have never had the discipline to just do 50/50 k salt and pepper consistently. I always have to tinker so I made the above rub. Honestly it smells about the same as 50/50 S&P.

I have never done the pickle juice and mustard slather. Any suggestions on what kind of pickle juice and what brand? It's for 4.5 pound beef plate ribs, not brisket if that makes any difference. I really want to achieve that bark I see some of these Texas guys get that I see on TV.

I hope it's ok to bump this old thread. I stumbled on this post after a google search on John Lewis and La Barbecue. I have never had the discipline to just do 50/50 k salt and pepper consistently. I always have to tinker so I made the above rub. Honestly it smells about the same as 50/50 S&P.

I have never done the pickle juice and mustard slather. Any suggestions on what kind of pickle juice and what brand? It's for 4.5 pound beef plate ribs, not brisket if that makes any difference. I really want to achieve that bark I see some of these Texas guys get that I see on TV.

I don't think pickle juice brand matters much. I'm sure he used standard pickle juice from the restaurant. Nothing fancy I'm sure.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4AwzsfVLPI"]The Manual 2.0 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-ESYpSfp8"]In Conversation with Louie Mueller Barbecue - The Tastiest Barbecue in the World 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Does Franklin (or any other renowned Q joint) only use salt and pepper?

Who knows...who cares?
Its moot really. Everyone is looking for the magic bullet. Like there is some magic bullet rub or sauce. I see it often in comp. Newbies think if they just find that one rub, bam, instant success. Just not the way it works. Seasoning is a personal preference. Not any one will satisfy everyone.

People dont wait 5 hrs in line for the the seasoning.

They wait in line for a brisket thats been cooked to perfection.

Back