• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What percentage of the whole turkey is the breast?

wjwheeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to smoke whole turkeys or breast. Most of the people only eat the breast meat. I've searched and haven't found an answer. If my question doesn't make sense here is an example:
How much of a 14 lb turkey is the breast? I've heard 1/2 or more.
Whole turkeys this week are $1.19 and breast are $1.59.
14 lb turkey or 7 - 8 lb breast?

I don't know the right answer but I would think less than half the weight, when you consider they are boneless and the dark will have the bone in unless its a preformed roll yuk. But if you are not serving any dark meant don't invite me, I want the dark meant thank you. If you are only feeding female types then you may use more breast meat But at the end of the day in my house with 6 o 7 ladies and 3 or 4 male types at the thanksgiving table there wont be much dark left.

I mite add figure about 1/2 lb per person then add a couple more people to that equation and buy that poundage if breast meant. I know that is not a proven formula. Hopefully you will have leftovers cant beat leftovers.
Dave

I agree with those above, if you smoke turkey, the best flavor comes from a whole turkey. I smoked just a turkey breast once, but the full flavor especially in the gravy just wasn't there. It did make great cold sliced turkey sandwiches though..

Bottom line is you have to make what appeals to you... Some like only light meat and the breast only would be fine for them.

depends on how much you need...if doing a big party 50 plus..just do the breast..if a family party..just do a whole fresh bird yield will depend on who wants what...but majority of meat is the breast...

When I cook turkeys on the smoker, I always do this trick. Since my family knows what a smoked turkey looks like, I do not make a big production out of slicing it at the table. I filet the breast from the carcass and bone all the dark meat, including the legs. The times I have weighed the cooked meat from the carcass I have found that I usually get a 33% yield of equal amounts of dark and white meat. For example, a 15 pound bird will give you about 2.5 pounds each of white and dark meat.

I have done bone in breasts and due to the carcasses being butchered differently by different producers, the end result can vary from 30-40%. One other thing you might consider is cooking boneless skinless breasts. The yield on these is a lot higher since the only weight loss you have is from the water.

Lager,

Juggy

"Whole turkeys this week are $1.19"

Wow I thought prices here were getting out of reach.
Whole turkey on sale this week for $0.68lb. I was going to pick up a couple but now maybe more.
Call me Sally but I prefer the breast's. How can any man not?:wink:

Back