Money Muscle

Any ideas on if KCBS in Virginia frowns on it?

You guys are quite welcome. It came from my own questions really. That, and an online friend whom I someday hope to share a few beers with had asked...

Fool, while I'm not in Virginia, I understand that BBQ there is pretty close to old school traditional as it is here. If you were in an MBN comp I'd say stay far away from anything sliced. However, with KCBS, I'd recommend that you mix it up. Slice a money muscle if you have one or two worthly of nice slices, and add in a bunch of chunks the size of your thumb (give or take), as chunks hold moisture much better than smaller pulled, shredded, or chopped (heaven forbid) pork. Make sure everything is bite sized. Then, keep it simple. Remember, it's pork afterall. I've seen folks go the fancy route and make nice "piles" or clumps, only to have judges think it looks like something the cat yak'd up... Think about the K.I.S.S. theory; you wont go wrong.

I found this link a couple weeks ago posted to another thread. Lots of props to the Big Pig for this one. I wish there was a similar post that covers brisket and ribs! hint... hint...

Thanks so much Hance! You have been a massive help and great friend! Definitely need to come down your way and check out a comp!

I found this link a couple weeks ago posted to another thread. Lots of props to the Big Pig for this one. I wish there was a similar post that covers brisket and ribs! hint... hint...

Something like this?

This thread by bigabyte is very straightforward and will get you off to a fantastic start for brisket.

No doubt about it, the MM is quite a treat. But I think I am just as fond of the muscle that lies just under the fat cap. That is one rich flavorful piece of pork!

Last edited:

Paul on the bbqbug site has very in depth recipe/tutorials for chicken and brisket. There's also a less in depth one for ribs. Just do a search for " award winning competition brisket" and you should find it over there.

No doubt about it, the MM is quite a treat. But I think I am just as fond of the muscle that lies just under the fat cap. That is one rich flavorful piece of pork!

Wow, 3am edit. Good morning! :)

I'm fairly certain that I know the piece you're talking about. For my own personal eats it is my favorite. At comps when pulling butts/shoulders apart this is one piece (the one you mention) we set aside. For us, as I cook fat-cap down and then seal in juices before foiling, that piece tends to get a little over-cooked and mushy. Sometimes it's not and it "makes the cut", other times it's just too mushy and makes it to my mouth. :)

It probably has a name; I dont know what it is though...

Thanks, do you cook the entire butt, and then remove it?

Thank you for this posting, I had been struggling with what is the MM.

I do have a question or request that I hope doesnt sound too dumb, can anyone or does anyone have a pic showing the MM before being sliced but removed from the butt. I am pretty sure I understand the MM however some pics show the area bigger and others smaller and I want to make sure I get it right when I try to slice it the next time I make pork butt.

Thanks in advanced for that or any other suggestions.

Back