Thread: Lamb Score!
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
We have a fairly large Jewish community here in New Orleans. A couple of years ago I figured out that the best time to buy lamb was just after Passover (around Easter). The grocers stock up for Passover and put any leftovers on sale afterwards.

Last night I went to Winn Dixie and they had marked their legs of lamb down from $6.99/lb to $2.99/lb (and no, not because they were expiring. The dates are still good.) I bought a about an 8 1/2 leg for ~$26! Not bad. They still had about a dozen last night.

So here's my question: I usually debone my lamb legs and cook them med-rare over lump on my homemade rotisserie with garlic, rosemary, and lemon juice. I was wondering if anyone barbecues them. I know mutton is popular in Kentucky, but I never here anyone talking about lamb.

It seems to have a nice layer of fat. I was thinking of treating it like a pork shoulder and making a black sauce.

Anyone have any insight?

David
The Swine Spectator
Sure, you can cook them low and slow with smoke, although two things to consider.
1) Mutton holds up better than the milder flavoured lamb, which gets a bit overwhelmed IMO.
2) you have a prime and extremely tasty flavoured meat in lamb, consider why you want to turn it into a carrier for other flavours like excessive rubs, sauces and seasonings plus smoke??
I've read about it and tried it, it was an interesting change and tasty enough, but for an expensive and delicious flavoured meat we all asked ourselves if we really wanted to go that route again.

We all preferred a slow roast with herbs and lemon, truth be told, where the lamb was the star flavour.

If you do want to do it, cherry and also apple were my favourites to use.
I cooked it really low for 9 and a half hours pull tender.
200-230f

Thanks from:--->