Malaysian Style Chicken Wings -Video Recipe

MothersBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I watched an episode of "The Best thing I ever Ate" on the the Food Network and came across an Asian chicken wing recipe I had to try. It was pretty darn good and wanted to share.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXaZmtLk9o4&feature=share&list=UUfjtJ08fpywI3RU-R-YalDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXaZmtLk9o4&feature=share&list=UUfjtJ08fpywI3RU-R-YalDg[/ame]

Last edited:
Thank for the video. Going to have to try this, my Fiancée is Malaysian and she wants me to learn Malaysian style bbq.

As some brethren know, I make a ton of Asian influenced food.

I do this recipe too, it's a Penang Sticky chicken recipe, and the guy screwed it up a bit in my opinion.
That is to say, I prefer it a little different.
First, he overcooked the chit out of that chicken, and sad to say, chicken usually gets overcooked by miles so that may be how you like it...but not us.

They are wings, they will only take 20 minutes to be ready for step two.
Next, chop the chili before adding it to the pot, and watch the ginger carefully.
When it starts to change color, add THE WATER first.
Then carry on as he did.
(The aromatics once scorched have trashed the dish from ever reaching the heights that it should.)
This may help too :cool:
Penang Sticky Chicken Wings
1. 1.5 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into 2 pieces
2. 2 Tbs minced fresh ginger
3. 4 small dried red chiles
4. 2 whole star anise
5. One 3-inch cinnamon stick
6. 1/3 cup soy sauce
7. 1/3 cup sake
8. 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
9. 3 tablespoons mirin
10. 3 tablespoons Palm sugar
11. 2 scallions, thinly sliced
12. 1/3 cup water
Cook the chicken wings over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the ginger, chiles, star anise and cinnamon and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the 1/3 cup of water, soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the wings are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze, about 8 minutes. Pluck out the star anise and cinnamon. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter, garnish with coriander and sliced scallion..

Ive tried these recipes with smoke and without.
Rare to find that smoke helps, usually it competes with the other flavours that are the point of the dish.
HTH brothers.

Last edited:
As some brethren know, I make a ton of Asian influenced food.

I do this recipe too, it's a Penang Sticky chicken recipe, and the guy screwed it up a bit in my opinion.
That is to say, I prefer it a little different.
First, he overcooked the chit out of that chicken, and sad to say, chicken usually gets overcooked by miles so that may be how you like it...but not us.

They are winds, they will only take 20 minutes to be ready for step two.
Next, chop the chili before adding it to the pot, and watch the ginger carefully.
When it starts to change color, add THE WATER first.
Then carry on as he did.
(The aromatics once scorched have trashed the dish from ever reaching the heights that it should.)
This may help too :cool:
Penang Sticky Chicken Wings
1. 1.5 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into 2 pieces
2. 2 Tbs minced fresh ginger
3. 4 small dried red chiles
4. 2 whole star anise
5. One 3-inch cinnamon stick
6. 1/3 cup soy sauce
7. 1/3 cup sake
8. 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
9. 3 tablespoons mirin
10. 3 tablespoons Palm sugar
11. 2 scallions, thinly sliced
12. 1/3 cup water
Cook the chicken wings over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the ginger, chiles, star anise and cinnamon and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the 1/3 cup of water, soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the wings are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze, about 8 minutes. Pluck out the star anise and cinnamon. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter, garnish with coriander and sliced scallion..

Ive tried these recipes with smoke and without.
Rare to find that smoke helps, usually it competes with the other flavours that are the point of the dish.
HTH brothers.

Thanks for advice. The wings I did came out really good and everyone enjoyed them. Next time when I do them again I will take your advice and change it up.

Back