Brisky Pron - A Bovine Bold Brisky

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My favorite way to cook briskets by far is Popdaddy's tri-level high heat method, and I've had good success with it (last cook can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87343).

However, I've cooked my last four or five briskets that way, and today I just wanted to do something completely different. So here was my game plan: Using nothing but Bovine Bold as a rub. Going to try to keep temps around 275-285 for the entire smoke. Going to pan it and cover at 160 internal with a cup of beef stock for 2 hours, then back on the smoker to try to firm up the bark. So here we go:

12 pounds of angus brisky from RD.
IMG_0003.jpg

Light coat of Bovine Bold the night before, trimmed fat down to about 1/4 inch. Heavy coat will go on the next day right before the smoker.
IMG_0009.jpg

O-dark thirty: Packed ring of RO lump, with four chunks of red oak.
IMG_0010.jpg

Locked and loaded. What am I doing up at this hour on a Saturday?
IMG_0023.jpg

First peek at 160 internal, time to pan.
IMG_0031.jpg

Kind of "scrunched" up a turkey roaster pan to make it fit on the WSM. Added a cup of beef stock. Cooked for 2 hours in the pan, then back on the smoker naked.
IMG_0038.jpg

Ready to pull, internal around 197.
IMG_0044.jpg

After a quick 30 minute rest, going to cube the point for burnt ends. Notice how the flat kind of looks like a person, with the accidental slice from the butcher acting as the mouth. Wierd. Flat is going back in the cooler for another 90 min.
IMG_0048.jpg

Dusted the cubed point with more Bovine Bold, then doused with a mixture of Blues Hog regular and Red. Back on the smoker for 2 hours.
IMG_0063.jpg

Sliced flat.
IMG_0081.jpg

Burnt ends are done.
IMG_0102.jpg

Final verdict: Came out pretty good. The bark came out better than I thought, it really firmed up after I pulled it from the pan. Can't say I noticed any difference from the pan, but I only had it in there for two hours. I'm a huge fan of bark and didn't want it soggy. Still, it was fun to play around with a technique I haven't used before.
That's all!

Last edited:
Just finished eating mine and yours is making me hungry again. Might have to hit the leftovers sooner than later!

Back