I'm done with chip trays

pull_my_butt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought a cast iron chip tray and if cast iron isn't hot enough to smoke the chips, then I don't know what else is. I got the tray b/c I didn't want to just throw the chips directly into the fire b/c they burn up in minutes...pretty in-efficient to me.

After the smoke, I can look into the tray and the chips are still as they were when I first put em in. You can barely smell the smoke.

I'm sticking to chunks from now on. If you think about it, a bag of chips costs about the same as a bag of chunks, depending on what type of wood and place of purchase, but overall, they're about the same in my area. I bet a whole bag of chips is just the equivalent of a few chunks. And, the chunks burn longer.

Is this anyone else's thoughts too? For you chip tray guys, what do ya'll do?

Cheers.

I use chunks whenever I'm smoking things. If i'm grilling items I use chips that were given too me. I place them in a foil pouch and poke holes in the pouch. Then I place the foil pouch close to the coals.

I used to use chips when I first started smoking on a vertical gasser. Since I went to charcoal, it's chunks all the way for me.

I use chunks whenever I'm smoking things. If i'm grilling items I use chips that were given too me. I place them in a foil pouch and poke holes in the pouch. Then I place the foil pouch close to the coals.

What type of cooker?

I am not sure what kind of cooker you are working with. On my cabinet smoker, (which is gas), I use a stainless steel hotel pans. I have one for chips and then another one above it for the water. It works great and I get the pans from my business (own a scrap yard) for like a $1-2 a piece.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN2142.jpg
    DSCN2142.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 258
I only use chips for cold smoking. I use chunks for everything else.

CD

I use a tin smoke box with my gasser. It works pretty well.

picture.php

This was left over from my last cook of wings on the gasser. It's from Bobby Flay so it's gotta be good... Right?

picture.php

Back in my "BBQ" dark days (gasser/unmodded ECB) I was never able to get good smoking w/ chips. I used many different vessels to hold them in...soaked, unsoaked, didn't seem to matter.

Now that I'm using "operational" smokers & kettles (and me being a much more knowledgeable smoker, due to this place!) w/ charcoal & chunks, no problem.

I prefer pellets when making foil bombs but I only use those for shorter cooks like fish/seafood veggies and such. Otherwise it's ALWAYS chunks and sometimes I'll even use a chimney of chunks as a starter.

I am not sure what kind of cooker you are working with. On my cabinet smoker, (which is gas), I use a stainless steel hotel pans. I have one for chips and then another one above it for the water. It works great and I get the pans from my business (own a scrap yard) for like a $1-2 a piece.

That is cool, and looks good too.

Last year I cut down a white oak that was growing in my yard. Can I use a chunk from it in my grill?

Last year I cut down a white oak that was growing in my yard. Can I use a chunk from it in my grill?

Yes. You should be just fine. I have a friend that is a logger and he drops off exta pieces of any fruit trees or maple as they are the most common in my area for me. I chunk them into fist size pieces and store in an old plastic garbage can in the garage. I grab a few pieces whenever I cook.

Back