Guitar jam weekend cooking

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Every year we host a guitar jam with a bunch of friends, edition #15 this year. A bunch of guys playing loud guitars, drinking beer and behaving badly need some meat at some point. As we had some people fly in (from Norway, UK) early, I got to play guitar AND Q for 2 days in a row.

On Friday I fired up the stickburner to smoke a duck breast as starter and do picanha and turkey breast for mains. We also did marinated taters in a skillet on the offset.

Saturday we had 12 guys over with a lot of amps, guitars and I had the Yoder going for some L&S cooking. We had a nice brisket and STL ribs, home made mac & cheese, homemade baked beans and some greens.

The making of the M&C on Friday, with homemade bacon:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Brined the duck breast (salt-sugar-thyme-juniper berries-bayleaves) for 5 hours, then quickly seared the fat in the fire box and smoked. It was gone in 2 minutes :mrgreen:

05.jpg

06.jpg

Diner time

07.jpg

08.jpg

Started on the brisket around midnight, needed some trimming but not much. I had bought this one a few months back because it was the floppiest brisket I have ever felt, check the 2nd pic. 17 pounds and a BIG hunk of meat, the oven tray in pic #3 is from our 30# Wolf oven:wacko:. I used Sucklebusters Texas brisket rub as 1st layer and added Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow as top layer. Ran the Yoder at 250F, brisket with fat side down on the top rack. After about 9 hours (10am) I wrapped it in BP and let it go until probe tender. Then into the oven for a long rest, about 6 hours at 158F. Came out PERFECT, great taste, perfect tenderness.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Ribs were done 2 ways, spicy (Oakridge Crucible + Kosmos Honey bee) and not spicy (Simply Marvelous pecan), both came out excellent.

12.jpg

Oh yeah, we made pulled pork nachos in the afternoon.

13.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

My plate:ribs, brisket, cole slaw, beans and m&c

19.jpg

Back