Sous Vide Container?

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Since Ron had to go and start that Anova sous vide coupon thread, I now need a container to cook in. Just curious, what type/size do you all use?

Was thinking something like [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG631200CLR-Space-Saving-Container/dp/B000R8JOUC/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1467078591&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=sous+vide+container&psc=1"]Rubbermaid Commercial FG631200CLR Space-Saving Container, 12-Quart Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]?

I've got the Cambro version of that.
I manly cook for for two. I mainly just use a 8 quart stainless steel pot. Only use the Cambro or a cooler if I'm Doing 4 + steaks or a large cut.

I fill the pot with hot tap water, put it on the stove on high burner, dig out the anova, hook it up, and turn it on. Burner off and throw the bags in. Works for me.

I don't have an Anova, a home built model. I use this:

8acd7b0d52482f9b82fe06e78fc0d511.jpg

I've been using a big pot, too :) I do want to rig up something insulated for long cooks, but haven't yet.

I used this Cambro container

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Cambro 12189CW135 4.75 Gallon Polycarbonate Food Storage Camwear Box: Lidded Home Storage Bins: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Looked into a serious container, but 98% of my cooks so far have been small enough to fit into a stock pot.

Thanks for the mention Jeanie!

Nothing wrong with using a stock pot or any container for that matter. Where a cooler shines is when you do long sous vide cooks. There's very little heat loss and almost no water lost to steam.

Since Ron had to go and start that Anova sous vide coupon thread, I now need a container to cook in. Just curious, what type/size do you all use?

Was thinking something like Rubbermaid Commercial FG631200CLR Space-Saving Container, 12-Quart Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific?

When I first got my Anova I used a stockpot. The only concern I had was for longer, 48 hour cooks, that my wife would want her stockpot back or evaporation from the extended cook. So, I bought the 12qt Rubbermaid and matching lid. I made a cut out for the Anova and no longer need to be concerned about evaporation or my wife needing her stockpot. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

I picked up the 12 qt Rubbermaid version over the Cambro as it was easier to attach the cooker to the side of the container. These do have a maximum water capacity of about 4-5 gallons unless you are using something that is heavily insulated like a custom cooler. For long cooks I just plastic wrap the top and never have to worry about losing water to evaporation.

Back