Serious question.... Can brisket be too juicy?

iamrwnut

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The following pics are of my last brisket.

20140510_170443_zps0achngy4.jpg

20140510_170439_zps0hwcla31.jpg

It was melt in your mouth, but is it too moist? Would that be acceptable for a competition?

Looks like it could have used more trimming to get that yellow fat that won't render out. It also looks like I would eat a large amount of it.

Oh, I am not a comp guy, so what do I know.

Yea looks like you have a bit of unrendered fat there. If it wasnt ro rich for you than great. Who cares about comp standards, your cooking for you not judges.

That looks like the point cut with the grain. The point has a bit more fat in it than the flat and is going to be naturally more juicy. I'm not a competition guy so I don't know the answer to that part but if that was a brisket cooked at home I wouldn't be at all disappointed!

I have just learned that I should have separated the two cuts a trimmed some of the fat. I started cutting across the grain on the tip but with the grain of the two running opposite ways, without separating them I had to cut half with and half against the grain.

I rested it in a cooler wrapped in aluminum foil and towels for 3 hours. It was 168 degf when I cut it.

Only thing I see wrong is I ant eatin you are:sad: I'd trim out all the hard fat before cooking. I always un book mine with the back of my knife before slicing against the grain.

Good catch. I usually slice the flat until I start hitting the point, separate the two, and rotate the point to slice it across the grain.

Spoken like a guy born and raised in Texas!

I'm by no means a brisket expert. Nor do I know much about comps. What I do know is that IMO there is no such thing as "too juicy". I would eat that until I had a hard time breathing.

Only thing I see wrong is I ant eatin you are:sad: I'd trim out all the hard fat before cooking. I always un book mine with the back of my knife before slicing against the grain.

I learned from this guy ^^^^^^

Cook whole, rest, pull the two pieces apart & slice according to each different grain (I still goof up a little even doing that)

10-8-13PTampBrisket037.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to say, looks tremendous......I'd eat all of it, maybe even some of the fattiness.....:clap:

before I clicked on it, I said "here I am gonna get a face full of brisket pron- putting mine to shame again" I was right- it looks wonderful- I need more practice.

and no- I don't believe one can be "too juicy"

grats!

Back