Pit Barrel Cooker..

rehless

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Don't know if this will be of interest to any PBC owners,but I use these magnetized hooks on mine to regulate temps and they work really good to shut her down when my food is done and save the charcoal. From Harbor Freight, I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 476
I see. In the UDS build guys mentioned magnets - and I thought they would be refrigerator magnets.

I see. In the UDS build guys mentioned magnets - and I thought they would be refrigerator magnets.

I use fridge magnets. The one the pizza guys bring by. However I like that hook magnet. Seems like it could be useful.

A while back I bought aluminum tape to seal some ac ducts which left me an almost full roll. I tear off some each time and cover the bottom vent and it shuts it down immidiately with plenty of charcoal left over. That looks like a neat idea as well. Thanks.

You can see it in this pic. I just cover bottom vent when done.

20131128_130315.jpg

mSvolpBj-q5dc8GdgJOUdIg.jpg

do you guys light with lighter fluid or another method. That is holding me back on a PBC

I use my Weber charcoal chimney with the PBC all the time and it works great. I think the Pit Barrel guys are trying to appeal to the novice smoker as well as the Brethren, so for some lighter fluid may actually be a plus! :shocked:

I would not let the suggestion to use lighter fluid scare you off. Any other lighting method works fine, and the PBC is a great smoker for the money.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

I use lighter fluid,mostly. Also have starter cubes and an electric starter. No problems with the fluid. Ikissell is right, great smoker.

I have used fridge magnets since I got mine a year ago including for the bottom vent. I use a chiminey to start charcoal.

rehless please return my tongs I wondered where they had gotten off to. Good idea on the magnets I remember hearing something about Aluminum something causing ahhhh.... hey those look just like my tongs

I use a chimney as well BUT I've used lighter fluid twice when I wanted to accelerate the lighting process. Either way is fine.

I have had mine right at a year. No issues at all. I use weedburner to start mine now. Great smoker.

I was in Harbor Freight today and bought four more hook magnets. We have a fifth wheel trailer and I know I will find a use for them. They have a nice strong grip.

I'm planning on getting one of the PBC's this year, and have NO plans on using lighter fluid. I have never had a drop of the stuff on any of my smokers or grills. I understand the technical reasons why it can be used without issues, but i'm not risking it to save 9 minutes.

On topic, that magnet idea looks great, i'll try to remember that when I finally get mine!

I agree with the above, my chimney starter will work like it always has. Love the magnet idea, and the inlet seems easier to close down than the exhaust?

Back