• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Someone talk to me about galvanized steel please

Dr_KY

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Now I know the word is that galvanized is bas at high temps but what are the facts behind it?

I'm looking at building a BBQ out of a water bowser that may well be galvanized. Am I to understand that it is not a problem at BBQ temps say 400F?

I see some BBQ's out there that are not made from otherwise known steel such as the pig cooker ( can't remember the name of it) It looks like galvanized sitting inside a wood box.

I'm very interested in this info asap as I have one lined up. The unit wont be used for smoking but more for grilling, I suppose I gild use it as a shell and build a steel cooker of sorts inside it.

Propane tanks as we know it and the such just are not available over here at a fair cost.

Thanks,
Al

Al, stay away from galvanized and life fire. Bad combination.

The fire actually doesnt have to be at the temps that melt or burn off tha galvanized layer to get some nasty stuff on your food and in the air that you breath while cooking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc#Precautions

Did you check scrapyards, natural gas and water supply companys, pipeline builder etc. for pipe ?
I paid 5 € for the pipe that i used for my smoker :twisted:

DM

La Caja China is probably the pig cooker to which you refer.

http://www.lacajachina.com/category_s/1.htm

I have no first hand knowledge if there are galvanized components in them.

We have had several threads on the use of galvanized metal in cookers, yet no clear-cut conclusion. The best advice I have gleaned from them is to err on the side of caution and just avoid it.

Last edited:
I remember Bowser and I'd guess he smoked often

Attachments

• bowser.jpg
    bowser.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 224
I used to be an Ironworker, and the first time I was ever around people that were welding galvanized they told me not to breathe the fumes, it gives off fumes that make you sick when it gets hot, well I didn't breathe the fumes to test it out, figured they knew what they were talking about, I personally would never cook in anything galvanized

Tell you what, I welded some galvanized EMT conduit once. Learned first hand you do get sick. I personally would not even take the chance.

The LaCaja China is lined with what they call "marine grade" aluminum, so nobody go toss your LaCajas!:-D

I've seen others like it that use stainless steel, but wouldn't risk the danger of galvanized

So then a steel liner should be ok?

I worked in a shop where we welded playground equip,all the tubing and plates were galvanized,had to wear a fresh air hood and still felt bad most of the time.The guys that cleaned up the welds with air sanders had to wear them too,Not sure what the burn off point of the galv is but would not take the chance.

I know to stay away from galvanized when welding. I don't know if its worth the risk to combine food and fire with galvanized metal... just my 2 cents.

be careful when you weld or cut it get galv posion have flu like systoms. But it is approvr by FDA ffor food lot o big industrial bakery oven have galv tray. It will never get hot enough while bbq cooking to give off fume that a fact.

be careful when you weld or cut it get galv posion have flu like systoms. But it is approvr by FDA ffor food lot o big industrial bakery oven have galv tray. It will never get hot enough while bbq cooking to give off fume that a fact.

. .
I'll give the guy a call in the morning.

Ok well I figured as much by reading through post over that last two years but figured I would ask anyway. I will find out tomorrow if it's actually galv or not and at the worst I now own the running gear to build on.

It looks like this one..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=270362328468&Category=147793

Not sure what a water bowser is bro...but if it's used to hold fresh or potable water my guess is that it is not galvanized...

I'd do a check with the manufacturer (if not a home build) to see.

1000Gls%20Water%20Bowser.jpg

Last edited:
How to tell if it is or is not galvanized?

We are in the minority here Jestridge.
It is food safe for ovens and for other uses in the commercial kitchen.

Check this out... http://www.oldsmokey.com/0210OS.html
That isn't plain old steel under silver paint.
My bad. It is aluminized steel. :)

Save your breath, this isn't the hill I want to choose.

Weiser

Last edited by a moderator:
How to tell if it is or is not galvanized?
Muratic acid will strip the galvanized coating. A welder showed me after I gott ill. I made racks for my offroad equipment out of emt conduit. I would cut and cope end and dip it in poolacis and it boils like hell. When it stopped I'd rinse it off with water. down to bare metal. Rusted almost immedietly.

Back