Smoker Conversion for Weber Kettle

FatDad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been considering buying one of these and try it out.
It looks very simple and if I want to smoke a small amount
this might be worth a try.

Anyone ever heard of it or used it?

http://www.smokenator.com/

I read some of the reviews and comments and all was good.

I had seen that advertised over at Kevin's website. It looks pretty neat, but I would like to hear from someone who has used it. I want to know if it is any better than pushing a charcoal basket to one side.

Last edited:
Neat idea, but I think it's just a case of re-inventing the wheel. Charcoal rails, or even banking the coals without rails works great, IMO. I've had very good luck with that method. I've done briskets, turkeys, and pork tenderloins that way.

Its a farkin Baffle mod for the kettle.!!!!

Another gadget, not that thats a bad thing. But seems easy enuf to make out of a sheet of aluminum to try.. if ya like, then buy the real thing, but 50 bucks is 3/4 there to a second kettle.

Personally, bank em to the sides. :)

If you're smoking in a Kettle all you need is a set of these (Weber Charcoal Briquet Fuel Holders):

allfuel_07_large.jpg

And just throw your chips (soaked)/chunks (dry) on top of the coals.

I tend to only put coals on one side of the kettle not both as I find it easier to keep the heat low.

Job done!

Few fire bricks and a sheet of light expanded metal served the same purpose on my last kettle. But you're right, great mod for when you're just cooking for 1 or 2.

Good idea just not sure its needed But if you had a space problem and could only have one grill/smoker it would be a handy item

CarbonToe said:
If you're smoking in a Kettle all you need is a set of these (Weber Charcoal Briquet Fuel Holders):

I have these as well and just use one of them. All the heat you need for a nice slow cook.

other than it being one contained unit it looks like it'd be a lot fussier to use than a single basket.

I took an extra bottom grate and bent one end up about 3/4 of the way so it looks like an "L" to hold the coals over to one side. I just lay it on top of the charcoal grate, works just fine and it was free.

The design of that doesn’t seem right. Wouldn’t the heat from the coal rise up through the 2 holes, to the lid and get sucked out the top vent? If the top of the unit had a hinged opening for adding wood and charcoal and slits or louvers on the metal side it seems it might work better. The heat and smoke would exit through the slits and rise up to the food and out the vent.

Just thinking.

D.B.Cooper said:
The design of that doesn’t seem right. Wouldn’t the heat from the coal rise up through the 2 holes, to the lid and get sucked out the top vent? If the top of the unit had a hinged opening for adding wood and charcoal and slits or louvers on the metal side it seems it might work better. The heat and smoke would exit through the slits and rise up to the food and out the vent.

Just thinking.

Very good point.

I was thinking of making something with small holes in the side near
the top and maybe making the top holes smaller but still have a
water pan cutout.

Keep the ideas coming guys.........
Thanks everyone !

Hey, I looked at every body’s comments, so I thought I would tell you all how I came to this thing. Don’t get me wrong, there is more experience on this board than I’ll ever have. I know BBQ is like religion, so I am just talking about the way I found to get smoke flavor into my food.

It was Thanksgiving 2003, I had a huge turkey I wanted to smoke and it wouldn’t fit in my little Cook N Cajun vertical smoker. So I fabricated the L shaped form and punched a few holes in it. I wanted something that would not dry this huge piece of meat. I have used rails before and they always seemed to dry out the meat. Having the shield prevented direct head from the coal from drying out the meat. I put a pan on top and away I went. The turkey was outstanding with about ¾” of pink smoke penetration.

Further refinements, put the pan level with the food-supporting grill, meaning that the water was right on top of the coals. I eventually noticed was that the device was very forgiving. You could put in too many coals, and the thing would still produce food that had good smoke flavor and still be moist. I found out that the moisture in the kettle transferred heat to the food, it can cook 25% go 30% faster, yet it will taste the same, yet be a bit more moist. Chicken comes out incredibly moist, yet a person can always control the cooking process by amount of coals use of water or taking water away.

You can say you are steaming the food, in stressed over fired conditions but if it simmers down and as the food gets closer to doneness you let it cook without any water in the pan it comes out good. Also the smoke disperses ok in the Kettle, it doesnt all get drawn out of the kettle

The nice thing about having the shield fabricated solid is the one can put food right to the edge and it won’t get burned up. Meaning I can load my Weber to the gills and smoke a lot of food. True you have to move it, but if you get a rib sticking out over the lower grill of a vertical water smoke the same thing will happen.

That’s my story. I really use it a lot, and I don’t have to spend 15-20 minutes scrubbing out the greasy water pan in the vertical smoker, or about 3 or 4 hours into the session clean out the ash so I get enough heat to keep the thing cooking. It’s just a bit easier.

The cost, well I expect the market will get the price down more decent here pretty quick.:shock: If anything, it will give a lot of smokers a new gadget to make in the shop and experiment with. This is a great board with a lot of experience. Barbecue cooking is a big part of my life, I love doing it and I get rewarded when people who I feed enjoy the good taste and the whole table goes quiet for a while they are eating.
Don

Smokenator said:
Hey, I looked at every body’s comments, so I thought I would tell you all how I came to this thing. Don’t get me wrong, there is more experience on this board than I’ll ever have. I know BBQ is like religion, so I am just talking about the way I found to get smoke flavor into my food.

It was Thanksgiving 2003, I had a huge turkey I wanted to smoke and it wouldn’t fit in my little Cook N Cajun vertical smoker. So I fabricated the L shaped form and punched a few holes in it. I wanted something that would not dry this huge piece of meat. I have used rails before and they always seemed to dry out the meat. Having the shield prevented direct head from the coal from drying out the meat. I put a pan on top and away I went. The turkey was outstanding with about ¾” of pink smoke penetration.

Further refinements, put the pan level with the food-supporting grill, meaning that the water was right on top of the coals. I eventually noticed was that the device was very forgiving. You could put in too many coals, and the thing would still produce food that had good smoke flavor and still be moist. I found out that the moisture in the kettle transferred heat to the food, it can cook 25% go 30% faster, yet it will taste the same, yet be a bit more moist. Chicken comes out incredibly moist, yet a person can always control the cooking process by amount of coals use of water or taking water away.

You can say you are steaming the food, in stressed over fired conditions but if it simmers down and as the food gets closer to doneness you let it cook without any water in the pan it comes out good. Also the smoke disperses ok in the Kettle, it doesnt all get drawn out of the kettle

The nice thing about having the shield fabricated solid is the one can put food right to the edge and it won’t get burned up. Meaning I can load my Weber to the gills and smoke a lot of food. True you have to move it, but if you get a rib sticking out over the lower grill of a vertical water smoke the same thing will happen.

That’s my story. I really use it a lot, and I don’t have to spend 15-20 minutes scrubbing out the greasy water pan in the vertical smoker, or about 3 or 4 hours into the session clean out the ash so I get enough heat to keep the thing cooking. It’s just a bit easier.

The cost, well I expect the market will get the price down more decent here pretty quick.:shock: If anything, it will give a lot of smokers a new gadget to make in the shop and experiment with. This is a great board with a lot of experience. Barbecue cooking is a big part of my life, I love doing it and I get rewarded when people who I feed enjoy the good taste and the whole table goes quiet for a while they are eating.
Don
Sounds interesting, Don. Can you post some pix?? Also, there's an area of the board called "Cattle Call" that I'd like you to visit. Tell us about yourself - you're obviously experienced and innovative!

Arlin

Smokenator said:
Great idea - I hope you sell a million of them. Do I hear HSN in your future.

Carbon Toe hit it right on the head. All you need are those Weber holders and I don't ever use those. Little pile of briquets on one side of the kettle with a chunk or two of your favorite wood will burn for hours.

CarbonToe said:

allfuel_07_large.jpg

And just throw your chips (soaked)/chunks (dry) on top of the coals.

I tend to only put coals on one side of the kettle not both as I find it easier to keep the heat low.

Job done!

I've not used my Weber kettle without those!

Back