*** 2019 Chicago Area Brethren Summer Gathering - ILFO, IAFO, INFO, WIFO, MIFO or anyone :) - Saturday, August 3, 2019

I have a new, in the box, never opened Colman Roadtrip LXE blue, I will bring up if anyone is interested. I’d like to make more room in garage, asking $100.

Temps finally hit triple temps here (101 at my house) so I'm looking forward to some cooler weather. Just gotta get thru my third shift tonight then will be heading y'all's way Thursday afternoon. Looks my host Bill has some fun things planned.

Greg (gtr) said I should take some Blue Bell ice cream for the habanero peach cobbler but figured will try something local. What's y'all's favorite vanilla ice cream?

Whatcha got planned? I might be in depending on when & where.

Andy, not sure of anything specific, especially schedule wise. Gonna defer to Bill on this.

Whatcha got planned? I might be in depending on when & where.

Very loose with the timeline, as Friday night looks like it will be prepping pork sticks. Since prior gatherings on Friday were usually up north, I don't think it works coming from Plainfield on Friday night.

I took Friday off so some of the plan was for during the day prior to me prepping and Charles making his pie.

But here is the rough outline of a PM we sent each other yesterday. Keep in mind, my point isn't to spend 12 hours out of 36 trying to find the "best" Chicago has to offer, but Charles wants a few Chicago items and I've chosen to stay local with passable places, such as Portillo's

My very loose outline is:

Thursday evening: Portillo's for Chicago hot dogs and Italian Beef sandwiches. Although Mad Hatchet brewery is right there, it's only open Fri-Sun. Will County Brewing is about a mile or two away from there, so that might be an option.

Thursday PM is cutting up pork shoulder and starting the Filipino marinade. Maybe stop and grab some libations for home consumption, some Midwest beers you can't get? Just kind of hang out as it will still be a 4am day for me, maybe travel will knock you out a bit.

Friday is just a couple items, everything else is flexible. I need to soak the bamboo skewers and thread pork sticks. That's probably later in the day to give the marinade as much time as possible.

Right here in little old Plainfield we have the birth of Central Texas BBQ. Not sure you ever had good BBQ. LOL, this is more of a joke, but it is good stuff, we don't have to go there (Station1 in an old fire stations). But the cool thing about Station One, you get it to go and eat next door: Garage Band Brewing.

At some point on Friday, I'd like to show you our favorite brewery, Werkforce. We've watched them grow from a tiny warehouse/tasting room to a great space with around 25 beers on tap any given time.

Stop at the store for supplies and you can make your pie. Then Saturday is picnic, these things seem to break up around 3:30p-4pm

Saturday evening, Jo's work sponsors the local minor league baseball team and she has tickets to that. I had committed to that prior to the picnic, but we'll see how things play out. Even if we only take in a few innings, right across the street from the park is, you guess it, another brewery: MyGrain.

Now if it appears when you read this that there is a lot of drinking involved, there not necessarily will be. Personally I'll just do a few 5oz tasters as I'll be driving. I'm only pointing out that depending on what we do, this town has plenty of local brewery options if we decide to partake.

Church will be Sunday morning and not sure what time you'll want to get to the airport.

And you'll be happy to hear there is no brewery near the church!

The one near the church is Black Dog Distillery, not a brewery!

I am very sorry to say that I can no longer attend. :( I’m really bummed about it, but I had a guy quit this week and it’s put the studio behind enough that I have to play catch up by working all weekend. Have a shot of Malort for me!

but Charles wants a few Chicago items and I've chosen to stay local with passable places, such as Portillo's
Take him out for some real Chicago pizza. Thin crust! Yes, it's true, most Chicagoan's only eat deep dish when we take out of towners out for "Chicago Pizza".

And an Eye-talian Beef! Wet!

I am very sorry to say that I can no longer attend. :( I’m really bummed about it, but I had a guy quit this week and it’s put the studio behind enough that I have to play catch up by working all weekend. Have a shot of Malort for me!

Shag, I'm very sorry to not see you again.

Missed you this past January.

Love lamb, but remember, there will be a bunch of other food as well. Not sure you'll need two.

I've done the arithmetic on this. If everyone brings enough food for 5 (*) We'll have 5 times as much food as we can eat.

I've also come to realize that folk appreciate the food more if there's not quite enough vs. way too much.

Hmmm... I need to evaluate my planned quantities in terms if my own advice. I probably didn't need to pick the biggest pork belly I could find at Costco today. ;) At 10 lb that's enough for 2lb/person. But a lot of fat will render out. :rolleyes:

I like lamb, BTW.

(*) When people estimate how much food they'll need for 5, they usually bring enough for 10, just to be safe.

Take him out for some real Chicago pizza. Thin crust! Yes, it's true, most Chicagoan's only eat deep dish when we take out of towners out for "Chicago Pizza".

A Fox's Pub (South Side) sausage well done is planned

Tavern style is all I know, never had deep dish casserole growing up, didn't exist in my 59th & Kedzie world.

:twisted:

I've done the arithmetic on this. If everyone brings enough food for 5 (*) We'll have 5 times as much food as we can eat.

I've also come to realize that folk appreciate the food more if there's not quite enough vs. way too much.

Hmmm... I need to evaluate my planned quantities in terms if my own advice. I probably didn't need to pick the biggest pork belly I could find at Costco today. ;) At 10 lb that's enough for 2lb/person. But a lot of fat will render out. :rolleyes:

I like lamb, BTW.

(*) When people estimate how much food they'll need for 5, they usually bring enough for 10, just to be safe.

Hank,
Just as an additional data point for you, I made Filipino BBQ sticks last year. I won't comment on the others as there was plenty and I don't recall them all.

So we were stuffed after a day of gorging. I probably cooked 20 or so and had 20 more bbq sticks left after the feast. It was going on 2p and decision time on the coals.

I asked Teebody +1, T&S, Pyle, Ronelle, etc that were there..... Okay, we're stuffed, but if I cooked 20 more sticks, would you take them home?

A resounding "YES" (not just to my pork sticks, but we kind of divy up the left overs for anyone that wants them).

As an example, Ron_L was stuffed on Saturday but on Sunday he skipped church for: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4049872&postcount=58

My point: Everyone bring gallon storage bags!!!

Don't get me wrong, its not your job to stock our fridges. Put it this way: Cook what you want for 5-10 people. If there is more people, we cut servings in half, if there is less, we have tasty morsels to give out.

Shag, I'm very sorry to not see you again.

Missed you this past January.

Back at ya, Bill. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while. I’m hoping I might start work early Saturday and sneak off to make the last couple hours with you guys

Back at ya, Bill. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while. I’m hoping I might start work early Saturday and sneak off to make the last couple hours with you guys

Or you give us the address and we move the picnic to your parking lot :twisted:

I tried to get to your 4th roast again, and to the Vet cook, but it didn't happen so I know all too well about these things coming up.

Take care brother.

I like lamb, BTW.

We always have too much food, but we also end up eating more than we expect :-D. As Bill said, nothing goes to waste!

Back